K-Tec

Faster than Light-Breaking the Interstellar Distance Barrier

More
16 years 3 months ago #60300 by JohnMurphy

It was a few yrs ago that i saw a show on tv about the teleportation of an piece of fruit. I wouldnt know where to begin looking for the data on it.

But as far as I know it was done.

Something that amazing should be easy to find wouldn't you think? It would after all be a first - ground breaking - incredible - fantastic -achievement.
However do a google or other search on the terms "teleportation - fruit - lab etc." and you will come up with nothing relevant to what you were talking about.

TV and fact seldom collide. When they do its great but it always gets hyped out of reality. After all thats what sells and raises profits for network shareholders. Thats how the world works.

There are only two things you need to do proper science (apart from having a modicum of intellegence) they are - 1. Question everything (especially other scientists and their suppositions.) 2. Keep an open mind and be prepared to disregard your own prejudices.

Given my own advice above I am quite prepared to believe anything IF I am given the data to analyse for myself.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #60303 by Rice
Replied by Rice on topic Teleportation
I dont believe they've progressed as far as fruit.
I think sometime in the last 18 months or so an experiment in Australia managed to do something like stop a light beam and then recreate it about a meter away.

Anyway this stuff is (no pun ) light years away from the sort of teletransportation of Star Trek.

As far as I understand it ---

(CORRECTIONS APPRECIATED TO AVOID PROMULGATION OF BAD SCIENCE)

Starting with a pair of particles ( in the Aussie experiment photons), both particles are Quantum Entangled so if you can determine a property of one of them you may know the property of the other. If you 'measure' the property of one of the pair you automatically determine the outcome of a measurement on its twin. Now by separating the two particles in space when the measurement takes place on one you effecitvely communicate the result of the measurement to other- but this takes place faster than the speed of light.

ULT

More
16 years 3 months ago #60305 by JohnMurphy
Not quite stop light but fairly close, the results were published in Scientific American last year.

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon long known about and is currently being put to very useful effect (experimentally at this stage) into diagnosis of cancer. We should see some very effective results on this in the next few years :D

Faster than the speed of light? NO - no laws are violated.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 3 months ago #60317 by pj30something
Now i think about it. Maybe i'm confused. The stop light story sounds more like what i saw. I think they may have been talking about fruit also.

Maybe about breakfast or lunch,LOL.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 3 months ago #60347 by Rice
Maybe they were going to have lunch at breakfast time in order to get a good run at the problem? I guess they were the Unbelievables?

ULT

More
16 years 3 months ago #61027 by darragh

Not quite stop light but fairly close, the results were published in Scientific American last year.

Faster than the speed of light? NO - no laws are violated.

I don't think it was faster than the speed of light, I think they accelerated photons beyond C in the experiment.

Darragh

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds