K-Tec

Faster than Light-Breaking the Interstellar Distance Barrier

More
16 years 3 months ago #61179 by Jovian79

How about teleportation. Hasnt there been SOME success in that area?

Again its another pipedream. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle means we can never know the position and velocity of even a single particle (a prerequisite for teleportation you would reckon) as all the particles in your body or even a lump of coal are constantly on the move.
Therefore whatever you put back together at the far end will not be the "same" as what you were trying to send. We may well get a reasonable facsimile of a teleportation machine - but I reckon it will only go so far as transmission of single element molecules and will never advance to transmission of large complex molecules or ever approach the complexity of an organic unit such as an amoeba - complete with life intact.

just invent a heisenberg compensator - theyre used in Trek lore too :lol:

but seriously, the odds are against us ever breaking the speed of light (locally). however, we can perhaps theoretically bend space / manipulate the fabric of spacetime itself to make light (and us in the middle) travel many times faster than c (relative to observer outside).

apparently. though no doubt itll take time, and lots of it.

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #61192 by Seanie_Morris

Not quite stop light but fairly close, the results were published in Scientific American last year.

Faster than the speed of light? NO - no laws are violated.

I don't think it was faster than the speed of light, I think they accelerated photons beyond C in the experiment.

I didn't think such a move was/is possible? I know one could go into the realm of quantum physics in order to obtain faster than light travel of anything, even light itself. But, does that not debunk relativity then?

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 3 months ago #61202 by darragh

I don't think it was faster than the speed of light, I think they accelerated photons beyond C in the experiment.

I didn't think such a move was/is possible? I know one could go into the realm of quantum physics in order to obtain faster than light travel of anything, even light itself. But, does that not debunk relativity then?

www.external.ameslab.gov/final/News/2006rel/metamaterials.htm

More
16 years 2 months ago #61302 by JohnMurphy
Good article Darragh - thanks for that.

I love the bit -

We can have a wavepacket hit a slab of negative index material, appear on the right-hand side of the material and begin to flow backward before the original pulse enters the negative index medium.

In other words you can also think of this as time reversal and no laws are broken either. The light being diffracted by the medium is moving slower than the speed of light in a vacuum. However because it is moving backward in time to us it looks like forward moving light that is faster than the speed of light. Really all that is changed is the time in the reference frame. Not sure if I'm explaining this very well - its a mindset thing.
Maybe this helps - because a photon is it's own antiparticle, forward or reverse time has no meaning to it - it looks the same either way - but the books have to balance. So a slower than C photon in real time has to become a faster than c antiphoton - This doesn't really happen - in reality time is reversed. (whatever reality is - a persistent illusion I believe Einstein called it).

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds