K-Tec

Moon or Mars?

More
16 years 3 months ago #60195 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Moon or Mars?
the moon would be a better bet from a finanical and technical, point of view. They do say (who ever they are) that you never forget how to ride a bicycle! but I think you can. I believe we should got to the moon in this decade..and do the other things again. - then go to Mars. on the other hand the cost of probes is a fraction of the cost of manned missions. anyway personally I would give my right arm to walk on the surface of the moon or mars - except it might be difficult to stand up again without it LOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #60196 by Petermark
Replied by Petermark on topic Re: Moon or Mars?
There is also the problem of bringing the public (The paymaster!) along with the plans.
Survey after survey in America shows that the public regard walking on the moon as being a colossal bore and a scandalous waste of money.
So does Sir Martin Reese,the English Astronomer Royal,as well as a host of other astronomers.

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

More
16 years 3 months ago #60197 by dmolloy
Replied by dmolloy on topic Re: Moon or Mars?
I agree that public opinion has not always been a friend of the whole moon thing in the past. Interest waned (pardon the pun). but remember that one of the chief reason that America went to the Moon was to beat thier rivels - the USSR. they may choose to do it again a second time to beat the chinese or whoever...political reasons may overrule public opinion..

More
16 years 3 months ago #60200 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: Moon or Mars?
Forget about costs , public and political opinion for a second ( only a second mind you!). Sure we have gone to the moon and walked on it, but we have never lived there long term. there are many many challenges to learn about living on another celestial body. they say the last time, the biggest problem was dust. sure they prob have systems to combat the dust now, but wouldnt it be better to test this close to home, where rescue is possible? Dust is just one issue.
Also, nothing brings problems to light than actually going out and getting your hands dirty under real life combat suituations. suppose some of those problems are serious, and threaten the safety of the astrouauts.
there are loads of other issues that will have to be tackeled and tested under combat suituations and I would be much happier if the astronauts doing the testing had some hope of being rescued should anything go wrong.

This also makes sense from a publicity aspect. suppose we send folk off to Mars, they make it there and something catastrophic happens and they all die as a rescue would take many months. Public opinion of travel to other planets would be blackened for many years and could set us back a long long time. However if the same suituation happened on the moon, but we could mobilize and mount a rescue in a couple of days.
The astrounauts would be much safer starting off living on the moon.
Should anything go wrong, chances of rescue are much higher.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." Dilbert.

• Tonybwf
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 3 months ago #60231 by Tonybwf
Replied by Tonybwf on topic ...

Forgot to link to the actual Solar plan:
www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=a-solar-grand-plan&page=1

thanks for that peter..much appreciated

Regards
Tony

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

More
16 years 3 months ago #60233 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Moon or Mars?
Ah sure what the hell. Let's go back to the moon just for the craic of it.

I think once the ISS is complete that manned missions to the moon will be a weekly event with the ISS as the launch pad.

So step to it lads and get the damn thing finished already.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds