K-Tec

Starting out :)

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
19 years 5 months ago #11077 by Macros42
Starting out :) was created by Macros42
Thanks to all who gave me advice on buying my first scope. I've received my Skywatcher 200 from Andy McCrea. Set it up on Thursday night and last night balanced it. Then decided to have a look through it in the back garden as a trial run. Fair bit of light polution in Maynooth but I couldn't wait to give it a bash :D

The EQ5 may require a physics degree to work out but through dead reckoning I managed to get Jupiter in the FOV. With the 10mm eyepiece I could make out the two brown rings on the planet and four of the moons. As a complete beginner to this I was delighted with that. Best part was when a plane passed through the fov :o - looked like a shooting star.

Now to read the instructions on how to use the EQ5 mount properly and hopefully get some cloud free nights to have a good look around. Of course that'll require me to learn where things are in the sky as well - but that's part of the fun isn't it? After all I was told not to get a goto because I'd learn shag all! :wink:

Steve

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 5 months ago #11078 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Starting out :)
Welcome to the world of scope owners Steve:)

After a little while you'll get so used to pointing the scope it will become second nature. My suggestion to you is go get a decent star atlas and just go looking. Heres a little challenge. What's the furthest object you can find in your scope. Thats what I did when I got my first real scope and I was amazed at the result.

Lets hope for lots of clear skies

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 5 months ago #11080 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Starting out :)
Hi Steve,
Looks like you made a good choice.
I use an german eq mount every now and them, one thing you might want to consider is gettting a drive unit for it, this makes life much easier.

Imagine you have jupiter in the field of view, wouldn't it be nice if it stayed there, rather then having you to turn the dials manually?, just a thought.

www.astroshop.biz/sess=f5bab7eedfb82de21...ed/shop/en/182/1533/
www.astroshop.biz/sess=f5bab7eedfb82de21...ed/shop/en/182/1500/

I'm sure Andy would be able to get these.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
19 years 5 months ago #11081 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Starting out :)

Hi Steve,
Imagine you have jupiter in the field of view, wouldn't it be nice if it stayed there, rather then having you to turn the dials manually?, just a thought.
www.astroshop.biz/sess=f5bab7eedfb82de21...ed/shop/en/182/1533/
www.astroshop.biz/sess=f5bab7eedfb82de21...ed/shop/en/182/1500/

It came with the dual-axis clock drive. Haven't actually put it on yet. No point until I get the hang of the mount I think - don't want a motor getting in my way. When I've got it down pat then I'll put the drive on.

Steve

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
19 years 5 months ago #11082 by Macros42

Welcome to the world of scope owners Steve:)

After a little while you'll get so used to pointing the scope it will become second nature. My suggestion to you is go get a decent star atlas and just go looking. Heres a little challenge. What's the furthest object you can find in your scope. Thats what I did when I got my first real scope and I was amazed at the result.

Lets hope for lots of clear skies

Thanks Dave. I've got the Collins Gem Stars book. Handy and pocket sized. I also have Starry Night so I can print out star maps for whatever time I'll be viewing at as well. What I really need to do is start reading the many beginners guides available and get my ass down to a club viewing session for some help. I'm a registered student in NUIM so I may get in touch with Astro2.

Steve

Steve
--

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
19 years 5 months ago #11083 by Macros42
Actually - one thing I really need is a red light. Where can I get one of those around Maynooth or Dublin city centre?

Steve
--

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds