K-Tec

Starting out :)

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
19 years 5 months ago #11098 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re: Starting out :)
I would like to suggest to you that you take up The Novice Observers Challenge,or another challange in the programme, down loadable from this site, it will give you a interesting journey to travel in the night sky, and if you stick with it, a certificate at the end. I have just completed the Challenge and was awarded the Certificate, I have always had and interest in astronomy and this Challenge gave me the focus I needed to get it together. I am looking forward to the other Challenges in this programme.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11104 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Starting out :)

I have just completed the Challenge and was awarded the Certificate, I have always had and interest in astronomy and this Challenge gave me the focus I needed to get it together. I am looking forward to the other Challenges in this programme.

Why the hell not!! :wink:

:D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11109 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Steve, good luck with the new scope, A good star map is Sky Atlas 2000, plenty of detail there to get into :D , also it's simple to get a red light, just use a red piece of wrapper from a box of sweets like quality street and cut it to the size of you small light/torch - (optional if you want to eat all those sweets! :D

Keith..

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
19 years 5 months ago #11111 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Starting out :)

I would like to suggest to you that you take up The Novice Observers Challenge,

I've already printed it out. I came across it by accident last night on this site and it looks like a great way to get started.

I'm not a member of a club yet but hopefully I'll be meeting with KAS at their next meeting.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
19 years 5 months ago #11116 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Starting out :)

I would like to suggest to you that you take up The Novice Observers Challenge,

I've already printed it out. I came across it by accident last night on this site and it looks like a great way to get started.

I'm not a member of a club yet but hopefully I'll be meeting with KAS at their next meeting.

Glad to hear of your interest Steve! FYI, its for your own benefit that you are a member of a fellow astronomical society. Also FYI, I think KAS, and already SDAS don't charge a membership fee (at the moment). But again, its not just to be a member of a club to take part, its to encourage you to take an active part in a club (observing, telescope maintenance etc etc), AND take part in the challenge!

Keep It Local!!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
19 years 5 months ago #11130 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Starting out :)

Glad to hear of your interest Steve! FYI, its for your own benefit that you are a member of a fellow astronomical society. Also FYI, I think KAS, and already SDAS don't charge a membership fee (at the moment). But again, its not just to be a member of a club to take part, its to encourage you to take an active part in a club (observing, telescope maintenance etc etc), AND take part in the challenge!

Keep It Local!!

Seanie.

KAS actually charge €20 with money raised going back into the club. They're local to me - I was putting off joining Astro2 as I'm a distance student even though I'm registered in NUIM. I'd be twice the age of half the members :lol:

I'm looking forward to joining other amateurs and learning my way around the sky. The Novice Challenge would be more about learning what to do than getting a cert :)

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds