K-Tec

Starting out :)

More
19 years 5 months ago #11084 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Starting out :)
Hi Steve - I'm a cheapskate so I cut out a plastic circle from an old container - it was a translucent red colour. The just slipped it behing the front of my torch. Total cost of ownership - nil. :lol:

If you're in Maynooth, you'd be more than welcome along to the KAS (see the panel to the right of the IFAS homepage for details) meetings and if you think we're not a bad bunch, you'd be more than welcome to join! Our website is a bit content-poor at the mo but we only started a few weeks back and just received IFAS affiliation.

Good luck with the new setup and happy star hunting - non-goto is a good choice for making you learn!

Cheers

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #11085 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Starting out :)

Actually - one thing I really need is a red light. Where can I get one of those around Maynooth or Dublin city centre?

Andy McCrea had them hmself at one stage Steve. If you have to, you could always get a red piece of plastic e.g. sweet wrapper, or even a piece of gel-light cover(perhaps from a bar or nightclub - I can get some if you need it), and fix it over the front of your torch.

Or, a really last resort is to colour the front lens of your fashight with permanent (red) marker!

By the way, you don't really need a bright flashlight either - a simple 3V double "AA" torch will do, and even that is pushing it for use while observing!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
19 years 5 months ago #11088 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Starting out :)

If you're in Maynooth, you'd be more than welcome along to the KAS (see the panel to the right of the IFAS homepage for details) meetings and if you think we're not a bad bunch, you'd be more than welcome to join!

Our website is a bit content-poor at the mo but we only started a few weeks back and just received IFAS affiliation.

Dave McD

Dave,

There's no contact details on the website or on the IFAS member clubs. Can you PM me some details? You never know - I might even be able to help out with the site :)

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 5 months ago #11093 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Starting out :)

Actually - one thing I really need is a red light. Where can I get one of those around Maynooth or Dublin city centre?

Actually what I did is bought a pocket torch and covered it with the red cellophane that some roses sweets come wrapped in.. The bonus is you get to eat the sweet inside first:) Just use a rubber band to attach it or as I did put the cellophane under the plastic lens cover.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 5 months ago #11095 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Starting out :)
Nice one Dave - like your thinking. Seems that we're all cheapskates here :lol:

Dave McD

• Macros42
  • Topic Author
More
19 years 5 months ago #11096 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: Starting out :)

Actually what I did is bought a pocket torch and covered it with the red cellophane that some roses sweets come wrapped in.. The bonus is you get to eat the sweet inside first:) Just use a rubber band to attach it or as I did put the cellophane under the plastic lens cover.

Now that's the kind of thinking I like :lol:

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds