Photographic Star Atlas??

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 4 months ago #11902 by Keith g
Photographic Star Atlas?? was created by Keith g

though one thing I was thinking of if I ever got a 300D or similar DSLR is to try and compile a photographic star atlas with a corresponding plate labelling the deep-sky objects, etc. Anyone interested in taking up that challenge?

John

Just really coming in second with John's Idea, Why don't we? I'd be up for it :D Anyone else interested, DSLR/Film people out there?

It would be great to have our own photographic atlas, especially for beginners to learn thier way around the night sky! You'd really only see thses atlases in books.

Bart - Can we make a simple folder to house all, this, or- would it crash and burn due to bandwidth issues if too many photos are posted?

What do you think?
Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 4 months ago #11904 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Photographic Star Atlas??
Keith,
this sounds interesting, I'd like to help if I could.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Frank Concannon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 4 months ago #11906 by Frank Concannon
Replied by Frank Concannon on topic Re: Photographic Star Atlas??

Keith,
this sounds interesting, I'd like to help if I could.

This is a "me too".
I have a particular interest in that I would like to get a complete set of photographic images of the stars along eclyptic.
On the main topic - in any finished product it might be worth including a set of 'standard' star maps for "decoding purposes". With a few other wrinkles you might have a going proposition.

FC

More
19 years 4 months ago #11907 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: Photographic Star Atlas??

though one thing I was thinking of if I ever got a 300D or similar DSLR is to try and compile a photographic star atlas with a corresponding plate labelling the deep-sky objects, etc. Anyone interested in taking up that challenge?

John

Just really coming in second with John's Idea, Why don't we? I'd be up for it :D Anyone else interested, DSLR/Film people out there?

It would be great to have our own photographic atlas, especially for beginners to learn thier way around the night sky! You'd really only see thses atlases in books.

Bart - Can we make a simple folder to house all, this, or- would it crash and burn due to bandwidth issues if too many photos are posted?

What do you think?
Keith..

what about a city version and one for the countryside?. probably could not beat where i live for light pollution :(. what you probably need would be say would be to record say a particular constellation close or at the zenith. maybe you could divide the sky by area or constellation and a particular person would be responsible for one area or constellation. if it was on a tripod the expsoure would have to be short to stop trailing, which would not be a bad idea. you don't want to go too deep if it is for people who are only learning their way around the constellations. if you are including deep sky objects that would be another kettle of fish.
stephen.

More
19 years 4 months ago #11908 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Photographic Star Atlas??
Perhaps we could just tackle this on a constellation-by-constellation basis? I've been trying to capture a few constellation images over the past few nights. Unfortunately, alot of tmy images are gone to waste due to (operator error" :wink: . However, one or two mightn't be too bad - not on a par with Keith's obviously though. I hope to upload them onto the kildareastronomy.com website (very useful tool which makes it really easy to upload images).in the next few days. I'll link them across here then.

More
19 years 4 months ago #11912 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Photographic Star Atlas??
metoo :-)

If the kit canon lens can handle it.

Not that I have managed to take any astro images with the 350D yet, been too busy hacking around with a spectroscopy project (how the hell does astigmatism creep in when using a grating anyway??!!).

I can help with the city shots if Stephens idea is adopted. And I'm sure JohnF would be interested in accompanying me into darkest Wicklow to help get some shots.

We really would need to store high res jpegs or raw files to do this properly. Given the sizes involved there, we are looking at swapping DVD's at starparties! If hosting more manageable images are a problem here I can host them in UCD, though you will need to mail them to me for me to upload.

Is there any software out there that can overlay a starchart onto an image fairly easily? Aladin won't scale to constellations, and its starcharts are not what we need anyway.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds