Supernova in M51

• gnason
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 2 months ago #13307 by gnason
Supernova in M51 was created by gnason
A supernova has been discovered in M51. It is currently at magnitude 13.5, but it's brightening, and may reach mid 12th magnitude, so one of the brightest we're likely to see for some years. It is located 15" west and 67" south of the nucleus. This puts it in the first spiral arm, roughly opposite of NGC 5195.

Some details and image here:
www.rochesterastronomy.org/supernova.html#2005cs

It's now known that this is a Type II supernova in its early stages. It's not going to brighten too much but should stay around for a while.

Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13308 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Supernova in M51
Thanks very much for that info Gordon. Its good to hear about these things as soon as possible. I might try for it tonight if i clears well enough :D

Thanks again for the heads up!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
19 years 2 months ago #13312 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Supernova in M51
Remember in 1994 when a father and son discovered a supernova in the Whirlpool while out observing in their backyard??

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13322 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Supernova in M51
Cool! Must try finding that. There is a 13.5mag star in M51 which I can see with through my 8". With the summer sky however, it may be a bit more of a challange. Only one way to find out. :)

More
19 years 2 months ago #13325 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Supernova in M51
Observed M51 no problem with the 8" SCt at 48X however due to patchy murky skies and poor trans i could not observe the SN or other faint stars within or near the spiral arms. I will try again on a better a night. :D

I did see 2 nice ISS passes and observed the moon and Mars. Was great to see the southern Polar caps and dark ground structure again!!!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
19 years 2 months ago #13339 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Supernova in M51
Thanks for the heads up, thats well within my scope/canon capability, all we need is some more clkear skies and some darkness :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds