K-Tec

Supernova in M51

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 2 months ago #13482 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Supernova in M51

If this supernova had happened in our galaxy, would we eventually see a nebula, or is it some other type of star death that makes nebula?
Bill H.

Yes Bill, Supernovas leave behind 'remnants which are highly enriched with various materials such as iron and lots of heavier elements. The crab nebula M1 in taurus is probably one of the more famous examples. Chinese astronomers back in 1033 reported a star which appeared in the sky and was even visibly in daylight. When the supernova faded the crab nebula was left behind. If the star in question was not massive enough to end up as a supernova it would end up expelleing its outer layers into space and thus end up as a planetary nebula.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13484 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Supernova in M51
Thanks Dave,
Just to irritate further - I feel like my four-year-old here, question after question, but at least I can pass the info on to her :D - another question. If this did happen in our galaxy, how soon after the supernova would the nebula become visible?
Bill.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

• DaveGrennan
More
19 years 2 months ago #13489 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Supernova in M51

Thanks Dave,
Just to irritate further - I feel like my four-year-old here, question after question, but at least I can pass the info on to her :D - another question. If this did happen in our galaxy, how soon after the supernova would the nebula become visible?
Bill.

There is no fixed and firm answer to that question. If it did happen in our patch, the nova would be the dominant feature for many weeks. What would happen almost immediately after the nova faded is that professional large telescopes would see the expanding gas cloud begin its journey outward. It would probably be many years before amateurs could see anything resembling a nebula though, but all of that would be highly dependant on the type of the supernova, class of star that went bang etc.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 2 months ago #13490 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Supernova in M51
Thanks again dave. Looks like we won't see the pot of soup nebula in our lifetime then :lol:
Bill.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds