K-Tec

Supernova in M51

More
19 years 2 months ago #13406 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: Supernova in M51
keith, Conor, Martin, thanks for your reply, but it now leads me to my next question: What's the difference between a nova and a Supernova?
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13436 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
A nova is a double star system that suddenly increases in brightness, it is composed of a red giant star and a white dwarf star, which is much more massive in weight, it's gravity pulls material off the red giant star. When enough material is collected, all this goes into nuclear runaway i.e it ignites and hence the massive increase in brightness, there can be slow, fast and intermediate novae. There are also ones that are recurrent, blowing more than once.

There are two types of supernova, both of which actually destroy the star(s) involved. One type is like above type1, the other is a massive star (type2) which has burned it's fuel so fast, that when it fuses iron, it can make no more new elements. Any fuel left is burned away, the outward pressure of starlight is overcome by gravity, the irn core collapses, and 'bounces' outward at an unimaginable speed, destroying the star. The light incresae from this is far much more than an ordinary nova, the death of a star :shock:

Hope this helps,
Keith..

More
19 years 2 months ago #13440 by Bill_H
Many thanks keith.
Bill.

More
19 years 2 months ago #13456 by StephenK
Replied by StephenK on topic Re: Supernova in M51
Anyone have any pics, or has anyone observed this m51 sn yet? Is it likely to brighten much more?

Stephen Kershaw
Ktec Telescopes Ltd
085 - 228 8692
sales@ktectelescopes.ie
www.ktectelescopes.ie
www.facebook.com/ktectelescopes
www.twitter.com/ktectelescopes

More
19 years 2 months ago #13475 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Supernova in M51
I couldnt see it myself.

I heard of one visual report from an american observer who said it was mag 14 so it must be fading.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
19 years 2 months ago #13477 by Bill_H
I haven't even seen the sky at night for weeks now, let alone the supernova. We get glorious sunshine most days, then every day on my way home the clouds roll in and the rain starts. :evil: I'm scared I forget how to align my scope. I haven't had my new lenses out of their case except to drool over them, and my new nebula filter is the same.
Another question while I'm here. If this supernova had happened in our galaxy, would we eventually see a nebula, or is it some other type of star death that makes nebula?
Bill H.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds