K-Tec

Bringing back a telescope (n8i) on an ariliner?

More
18 years 10 months ago #17685 by dmcdona
Get it shipped to Northern Ireland if you can and drive...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17715 by jeyjey

Check out this add,
www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=386750
wouldnt you love to bring this back home. :P

Dave L --

Funny you should mention it. Your microfocuser came off just such a beast (actually, the GPS version). So you do have a little piece of it... ;)

Dave B --

The 16" comes in 4 boxes: 210 lbs, 92 lbs, 63 lbs, and 13 lbs. I shipped it DHL for just less than $1600 (~1300€). I then had to pay duty (~4%) and VAT (21%). That was for door-to-door shipping. I imagine it's a bit cheaper if you drop-off or pick-up at an airport. (But the door-to-door service was great -- DHL even sent a driver out to pick up my check to customs to get it cleared faster.) You can get an online quote from www.shipping-worldwide.com .

The OTA box had a dent in it about 4" deep with the cardboard torn along the bottom of the dent. The dent & tear also went through the inner box (Meade double-boxes their OTAs), but the scope was untouched inside.

I guess the moral of the story is the original packing boxes/molded foam are a *lot better* than just bubble wrap or peanuts. I imagine they could even take airline baggage handlers (but I'd still ship it if it were me).

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds