K-Tec

Bringing back a telescope (n8i) on an ariliner?

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 10 months ago #17542 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Bringing back a telescope (n8i) on an ariliner?
DB Just to add to what DaveMc just said. If you use UPS, DHL or similar companies you WILL be charged import taxes, no question. The only way you stand a chance of getting away with that is to use USPS. The gear then goes through Anpost. You'll probably be old and gray before it arrives but it seems anpost dont have time to deliver mail let alone collect import charges.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 10 months ago #17543 by dmcdona
Dave G - I was on the way back from the US in Sept and while on the apron, got to see the baggage going up the little escalator into the hold. It was really smooth and looked like half a dozen eggs would be unscathed.

Then one of the bags fell off the top of the escalator onto the concrete apron below -25/30 ft? The handler kicked - yes kicked it back to the start of the escalator. Luckily it wasn't my bag...

I've seen those fellas really chucking stuff around - shocking really. They don't give a monkey's...

That said, the 1200 arrived in perfect condition - I assume it went by UPS jet and was nursed by well-paid experts in internatioal shipping - worth every penny of the price. Of course, AP packaging was faultless too.

The only way of protecting the investment if it goes into the hold on a commercial aircraft is insurance...

As for the European option, surely that would have to be shipped too? Its just a shorter journey but still the same handling techniques I suspect....

Dave B - unfotunately, what you thought might be relatively easy is turning into a logistical and risky exercise... Sorry :cry:

Cheers

Dave

More
18 years 10 months ago #17544 by albertw

He basically got rid of the box, broke down the tripod and carried it all on board! in a big carry bag:shock:
I'd imagine now adays with 9/11 it might be harder to get onto a plane with such equipment.

You wont get away with a triopd these days, but then again, it should be ok if its wrapped well in the hold. My manfrotto has survived so far.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• DaveGrennan
More
18 years 10 months ago #17546 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Bringing back a telescope (n8i) on an ariliner?

As for the European option, surely that would have to be shipped too? Its just a shorter journey but still the same handling techniques I suspect....

Yep but at least you'd have a warranty and I guess the shipping would be somewhat cheaper.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 10 months ago #17560 by darragh
I am heading over to the USA in December and am thinking of getting a Meade ETX-90EC from Adorama.

I have seen some where that there is hard case that can be bought for these.

I am wondering, could a the ETX-90 fit in an over-head bin on a plane?

Also what is the weight of the ETX-90 with the Auto-Star controller and can the ETX-90 be mounted on a Camera Tripod?

I have a Slik 500Dx Tripod which will take about 12-13lbs

Thanks

Darragh

More
18 years 10 months ago #17568 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Bringing back a telescope (n8i) on an ariliner?
Don't mean to scare you David Brannigan, but this thread just reminded me of a thread way back ( read it here ) about an astronomers experience using UPS....

Have a read of it! :shock:

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds