• Eirikg
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 8 months ago #20820 by Eirikg
My first telescope was created by Eirikg
Hi

Was looking at the lidl "computer" telescope, and since i got no knowlage at all about telescopes i searched google and found this site. So from the posts written here i bought the ETX-70 :D

Last night i realy got to test it, and wow im happy with it :)

Though i have some questions:

Can looking at the moon damage your eye?

Last night i got a stunning view of saturn (14mm+3x barlow), but it was verry bright. Can i use some filter for getting better contrasts maybe even more detail?

Im using glases and thinks its kind of unconfortable to look in the eyepease, without glases i can look true it and adjusting the focus, but i still think the focus is better with my glases on. Is this something i just has to live with?

Its freezing outside theese days, can this damage the telescope? When taking it inside in the warm?

im from norway am i still welcome here? :D

Eirik G.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 8 months ago #20823 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: My first telescope
Hi Eirik,

Welcome to the exciting world of astronomy, boy are you in for lots of fun and lots of great nights outside in the freezing cold.

Those are all good questions you raise.

No you cannot damage your eyes looking at the Moon. Do NOT however ever point the scope at the Sun. Often a red filter will help with viewing the planets. Particularly Saturn and Mars, when Jupiter comes into the early evening sky next spring try using green on that. As a cheap quick fix you can try using coloured sweet wrappers (you know the sort you find in cadburys roses and quality street etc). In the longer term you can get filters which screw into your eyepiece.

As for the glasses, well its really up to you. Most people prefer to leave off the glasses and then by focussing the telescope you automatically correct for near abd far sightedness. However if you suffer from astigmatism you will have to leave the glasses on. You will quickly find whats best for you. Try working without glasses if you can.

Bringing the telescope in from the cold usually doesnt cause any problems however its best to let any moisture which has collected on the lens dry off before packing it away. You can dry off the scope tube and mount with tissue paper and even use a hairdrier on VERY low heat to dry the optics if you are in a hurry.

If you have any more question please do come back and ask them, there will be lots of people here happy to help. Remember the only silly question is the one you dont ask!!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
18 years 8 months ago #20824 by gus
Replied by gus on topic Re: My first telescope
"Bringing the telescope in from the cold usually doesnt cause any problems however its best to let any moisture which has collected on the lens dry off before packing it away."

Always put the covers on BEFORE bringing the telescope in from the cold, to prevent any condensation forming on the optical surfaces.

More
18 years 8 months ago #20825 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: My first telescope
Welcome Eirik,

I too bought ETX-70, though I haven't had time to get it out of the box yet :oops: .
This w.end :wink: .
So yet another satisfied customer :!: .

I'll try and shed some general light on your Q's.:

The moon shines via reflected sunlight, so no, it won't damage you eye, though it will be harder on the eye and more tiresome, given the amount of light that comes off it.

You can get polarising moon filters which help greatly.
Some are set filters, others allow you to vary the amount of light getting at your eye, which will also help with contrast, as the image is now no longer drowned out by excessive light.

And yes, there are specific filters available for each planet, deep sky etc.
Others might come back at you with more info. on that.

I don't wear glasses, but I do believe it's a bit of a pain in the N$%^. Again, not my area, though there are certain eyepieces which do help.

Generally the move from heat to cold, and vice versa, is not a problem.

However:
>Allow to scope to cool down for 30-60min+ to get the best views. This way, the heat currents from the glass & tube are no longer interfering with the image.
>DO NOT cover the large (objective) lens immediately you go in. Instead, let the dew dry off naturally.
>Be careful about NOT leaving the batteries in for too long if not in use. ESPECIALLY those LIDL one supplied with the scope, as one member found his to be leaking BEFORE use :!: .

And yes, you are most welcome here Eirik, regardless of nationality.
That will probably only serve to make it all the more interesting... 8) .

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

• Eirikg
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 8 months ago #20832 by Eirikg
Replied by Eirikg on topic Re: My first telescope
thx for the quick replys :)

About the moist on the lens forming when i bring it in, i have let it warm up a wile, then wiping it off with a tissue :O

But ill will put the lid on next time, that way there will not be any danger of damaging the lens.

Meade #3200 Lunar & Planetary Color Filter Set
this is what i should get?

Now i must save up for filters and powersupply

got the feeling this is going to be jet an expensive hobby ;)

Play guitar, computers and sattelite are my other hobbies

More
18 years 8 months ago #20845 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: My first telescope

im from norway am i still welcome here? :D

No... give back the scope and leave! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the boards Erik!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds