K-Tec

My first telescope

More
18 years 8 months ago #20846 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: My first telescope

About the moist on the lens forming when i bring it in, i have let it warm up a wile, then wiping it off with a tissue :o

While a tissue may seem soft, it will still streak, and excessive rubbing can lead to surface abnormalities occuring. Even though they may appear too small to see at first, the use of a tissue over time will just add to the damage.

The objective lens is coated for both protection against finger and tissue rubbing, and also to minimise surface reflection, thus allowing as much light as possible to pass through the lens, giving you that slight bit of a brighter image.

As you wear glasses Erik (I saw that from another thread!), the lint-free cloth that is recommended to use with them, is perfetly safe to use with an objective lens in a refractor, like the ETX-70.

But, it is best to simply let the dew evaporate off the surface when you are finished.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 8 months ago #20855 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: My first telescope

Always put the covers on BEFORE bringing the telescope in from the cold, to prevent any condensation forming on the optical surfaces.

Hi Gus,

The problem there is that moisture already on the optics and inside the scope, has nowhere to go. I've always been told to leave the scope uncovered (I usually cover it lightly to stop dust ingressing) until the condensation has completely gone.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• Eirikg
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 8 months ago #20996 by Eirikg
Replied by Eirikg on topic Camera with the telescope
Hi agein

Im looking at a cheap way of using my digital (brica) camera with my ext70

I have been testing the camera outside and though it isnt the best camera i can take long exposure images (i guess that is good)

But holding the camera is ofcourc not an option. So i found this:
Orion Tele-Extender Camera Adapters
www.scsastro.co.uk/it220006.htm

Is this what i should get?

And is this an good option? Have read posts were a t-ring and some other stuff have been used, but dont get what the different is and what is better?

Am i right if i say the t-ring option is for taking pictures without the eyepiece and Orion Tele-Extender Camera Adapter is with eyepiece?

As for observing the sky the latest days there has been clouded for days now :( just small openings

And im learning the sky :D can pinpoint mars and venus :P

More
18 years 8 months ago #21002 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: My first telescope
Hi Eirik.
You are most welcome to the boards, its great to see they're been noticed abroad.

I take it that the digital camera you have is not a SLR camera, if so, then the tele-extenders are of no use to you.
What you should be aiming for is to use the camera as is with the telescope and an eyepiece, an "orion steady-pix" will do the job you want.
It will hold the camera up to the eyepiece for you.

t-thread/adapters are for SLR cameras, both film and digital.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Eirikg
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 8 months ago #21014 by Eirikg
Replied by Eirikg on topic Re: My first telescope
ok, i found it :)

But expensive, looks like an easy deisgn, maybe i will try to make one.

• Eirikg
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
18 years 8 months ago #21044 by Eirikg
Replied by Eirikg on topic Re: My first telescope
Ok, ive made a holder now, its not 100%, but it works

Had my dad look at the "orion steady-pix" and asked him if it was worth it, and he though it was well made, so think ill go for that one if i cant manage to improve my home made holder.

Below is a picture i took, it was so hard to center the camera lens to the eyepience so im not so sure what ive got, its somewere close to orion belt.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds