K-Tec

Skyglow - How to combat

More
18 years 8 months ago #21073 by Astro1996
Replied by Astro1996 on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat
Death to light pollution! :evil:

I know how you feel, my skies just keep getting worse and worse, its painfull really, but what can you do eh? anyway..

img253.imageshack.us/img253/38/113622196...ralaurigaweb16yg.jpg

You stole my stars springfield!!

No one wrote any poems about stupid orange barf glow...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21074 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat
It sounds like you are suffering from light tres pass Keith and thats a big no no. There are new light pollution laws comming into force this year in the UK.

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 8 months ago #21083 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat

Keith, Alberts idea is on the ball for eliminating the orange glow in images, butr it can have the effect of making all the stars look a little too blue.

Maybe supply a shield for him, or get him to point it lower...
If all diplomatic efforts fail, and if it has a light sensor, then get a laser pen, seriously!, mount it on a pole in the back garden and point at the sensor. This is what I would do if I had to. There is nothing he can do about that!.

Dave how does the light pen affect it, sounds a great idea though :D

With a 'green laser' pointer, simply tape it to a rod stuck in the ground, or onto something else, and fixing the 'on' button to remain on (pressed down with tape), focus the beam onto the sensor under the light! These lights with sensors Conor do not come on during daylight. Basically, you're tricking the sensor to think its in daylight!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21095 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat
This of course depends on the strength of the laser pen, a red one wil not do the job, you will want one of those 5mW green lasers to trick the light into thinking its daytime, so it will go off. :twisted:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 8 months ago #21128 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat
If you a red lazer pen then he wont see the actual beam jst the dot

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

More
18 years 8 months ago #21134 by gammarayo
Replied by gammarayo on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat
Keith,

Sorry to hear that. Luckily, i am blessed with living on a quiet country road with green fields surrounding me in rural Wicklow.

I hope you can sort it out diplomatically. One suggestion i can give you is to ask your neighbour to consider replacing the light with a similar one, but with a motion detector...so you can do your work in darkness..most of the time anyway.....I think that is meeting him half way...and should keep everyone happy?

As the rest of the guys have already said, the laser option should be used as a very last resort, it's never good to fall out with your neighbour!!

Regards,

Ray

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds