K-Tec

Skyglow - How to combat

More
18 years 8 months ago #21047 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat

.22 or an air-rifle usually sorts that kind of skyglow. Only kidding!!

Seriously have you tried talking to your neighbour, maybe even offer to replace his nasty streetlamp with a properly calibrated halogen which would illuminate his garden and nothing else. You could show him your work and explain how it ruins it and maybe he will be sympathetic. You could also point out that a constantly on street light is costing him a fortune in electricity. Failing that you could politely explain that he probably doesnt have planning permission to erect something like that in his garden, but hopefully you would only have to use that as a last resort.

As AL said a duplicate layer blurred till you cant see any more stars and then subtracted from the image works well on constellation shots, doesnt work so well on nebulas.

To be honest i dont think you should say that you will replace the light yorself. At the end of the day his light is trespassing onto your property. I would think you wont want to cause a big arugment or fall out but just let him know that would like to be downgraded. Also a good way is to say that he is wasteing electric like Dave said.

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21051 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat
Keith - I hear ya. Try the diplomatic route if you can, if not give me a shout and I'll provide safety in numbers. And a decent pair of wire clippers, lump hammer anda T-Bone for the dog...

Stick with it...

Dave

More
18 years 8 months ago #21057 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat
Keith, Alberts idea is on the ball for eliminating the orange glow in images, butr it can have the effect of making all the stars look a little too blue.

Maybe supply a shield for him, or get him to point it lower...
If all diplomatic efforts fail, and if it has a light sensor, then get a laser pen, seriously!, mount it on a pole in the back garden and point at the sensor. This is what I would do if I had to. There is nothing he can do about that!.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 8 months ago #21064 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Awww - now I feel better, New year's resolution so - thou shall not fire any projectiles at thy neighbours dwelling unless deemed a last resort! :twisted:

Seriously have you tried talking to your neighbour, maybe even offer to replace his nasty streetlamp with a properly calibrated halogen which would illuminate his garden and nothing else. You could show him your work and explain how it ruins it and maybe he will be sympathetic. You could also point out that a constantly on street light is costing him a fortune in electricity. Failing that you could politely explain that he probably doesnt have planning permission to erect something like that in his garden, but hopefully you would only have to use that as a last resort.

Yep, I'm going to talk to them on Saturday -I'm hoping that this is just part of the Christmas lighting, but I don't think so :? It's been up for over 5 weeks now, so the diplomatic approach is no.1. I'll just ask for him to point it down/remove it, also I'll mention the electricity bill.

if it has a light sensor, then get a laser pen, seriously

Great Idea! Did'nt know about that!!!!!

Albert - Thanks for the help with photoshop :D

I'll let you know how I get on........ :?
Keith..

More
18 years 8 months ago #21065 by finnjim2001
Replied by finnjim2001 on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat
Hi keith

You said that the light is shining horizontally and shining into your bedrooms. I think there are Light pollution regulations against just this sort of thing AL is the man to ask i think. It's a last resort but ...

Jim

Somedays you're the dog,
Somedays you're the lamp post.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21067 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat

Keith, Alberts idea is on the ball for eliminating the orange glow in images, butr it can have the effect of making all the stars look a little too blue.

Maybe supply a shield for him, or get him to point it lower...
If all diplomatic efforts fail, and if it has a light sensor, then get a laser pen, seriously!, mount it on a pole in the back garden and point at the sensor. This is what I would do if I had to. There is nothing he can do about that!.

Dave how does the light pen affect it, sounds a great idea though :D

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds