K-Tec

Skyglow - How to combat

More
18 years 8 months ago #21150 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat
Conor,
those red dot things are not strong enough from a distance at all. The range on a 5 miliWatt laser is strong for almost 2 miles!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 8 months ago #21187 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Thanks for your posts all, but I cannot see any sensor associated with this light :cry:

It's just a sodium streetlight - and a very bright one if that! It's foggy here now, and the pollution from it over my backyard is nothing short of diabolical!

As I said, I'll call round to them on Saturday after the week's work , I hope it's part of their Christmas outdoor lighting, but I seriously doubt it.

Keith..

More
18 years 8 months ago #21211 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat
If it really is that kind of a street light, surely they are not available, nor intended for, private use. I would ask the county council first on how a neighbour could have come to have one of them. Keep it anonymous for the first attempt perhaps. Ask for the Environment section.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21225 by MarkCahill
Replied by MarkCahill on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat
Just a matter of interest is it possible for you take to take a photo during the day so that we could see what kind of light it is, and also at night from your window. I would be very annoyed in your situation. Best to talk to them alright and if that goes nowhere then take further step. It is a shame that you even have to knock on a neighbours door to ask them to remove a horizontal street light. I can't understand the motivation behind your neighbours actions. Best to be as diplomatic as possible, I could imagine that they are going to be defensive straight away. Explain your hobby and maybe show them some photo's (before and afters), explain the general annoyance and maybe invite them over to your house to see it from your perspective. Try to provide them with some solutions, but remember it is not your responsibility to pay for the solution. They may not know any better and maybe thought that this was the best way to lighting up there own garden (maybe they are worried about security). Best of luck what ever route you take. Also let us know how the story unfolds.

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 8 months ago #21489 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Just to let you all know how I got on - I gathered myself together yesterday morning and went round to the neighbours house, knocked on the door, and out he came. I introduced myself and asked him was he aware that this light was shining right over my backyard, into my bedroom window.

He was actually very nice, and he agreed to moving it from the tree, he also stated that this was only temporary lighting :D as he was having work done on the house, and was'nt aware of what he was doing.

I think he would have been put off by 'technical' terms such as 'light polloution' and 'skyglow', so I kept it quite simple.

One thing I've learned - always go about a problem like this diplomatically, I'm glad it worked out, so any of you with the same problem should go around and explain your case. I think most of the time it will work out.

Keith..

More
18 years 8 months ago #21490 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Skyglow - How to combat
Good to hear it worked out Keith!

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds