K-Tec

A long shot for a lost item - laser pointer

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 years 8 months ago #38086 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: A long shot for a lost item - laser pointer
I have just found it, safe and sound... I won't embaress myself with an explanation as to where I found it... :D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
17 years 8 months ago #38087 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: A long shot for a lost item - laser pointer
hi men
do you know you can get the green laser pointer pens up to 125mw i have one witch is 80mw it's great for showing the kids the night sky all you here is ooooooaaaaaaaa. mammy can i get one for christmas they go down a treat in the right hands ofcourse .here is the web address click on green lasers on the site

www.wickedlasers.com

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
17 years 8 months ago #38088 by jhoare
Please be careful what kind of lasers you buy.

Purchasing some kinds from the US will get you on their terrorist watch list, while from an Irish perspective some of the properties claimed on Carl's helpful link cause them to be automatically defined as firearms under the Firearms Acts, which means that their possession without a license could constitute a criminal offence.

A low milliwattage green laser pointer being used in the night sky might worry a passing pilot but will not cause harm. Higher power lasers could cause accidental eye damage and while the odds of accident are low the casualties could be high.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
17 years 8 months ago #38089 by Kerry Stargazer
Replied by Kerry Stargazer on topic Re: A long shot for a lost item - laser pointer

Purchasing some kinds from the US will get you on their terrorist watch list

Is this true?

What kind of models?

Chairman of Kerry Astronomy Club.
My Kung-Fu 's the best (Melvin Frohike X-Files)

More
17 years 8 months ago #38090 by jhoare
There have been bona fide news reports of people who pointed lasers at aircraft (accidentally or otherwise) being visited by the FBI. I saw one report on CNN during which an FBI spin doctor said that anyone buying lasers that can burn or cause blindness (temporary or permanent) is 'of interest to Homeland Security'. Homeland Security provide the watch lists for customs and immigration officials at points of entry.

They didn't say it in so many words but I would advise against being noticed by the secret police. Particularly if you're innocent - how would you prove it? Guantanamo Bay is a 'guilty until proven innocent' holding facility.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

• carlobeirnes
More
17 years 8 months ago #38091 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: A long shot for a lost item - laser pointer
jhoare
chill out man i got one and the fbi did not nock at my door Guantanamo Bay here i come i've got a laser :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds