We love the Sky at Night

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
17 years 4 months ago #45652 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: We love the Sky at Night
Hi All
I have to say it was great honour to be invited to "The sky at night 50th anniversary show" . Just to meet Sir Patrick Moore was a privilegei in its self, sitting at the table and discussing past events. Also him asking me to show some of my images that I captured through the past number of years. Plus meeting people like Pete Lawrence, Damien Peach, Dave Tyler, Dr Alan Chapman, Dr David southwood, Also chatting with Shuttle and ISS Astronaut Piers Sellars. Piers who gave us some fantastic images of him working on the iss in space and a great picture of Ireland and England from space . Really stunning images, we will post them soon if you wish to view.

It was great to see us Irish amateur astronomers getting the sort of recognition after all our hard years of work finally paying of on such a big occasion that I will never forget. Some great pitures for the Observatory and memories that I shall never forget.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #45657 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: We love the Sky at Night
Ya jammy bugger,we're all green with envy. :wink: :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 4 months ago #45664 by Pioneer
Replied by Pioneer on topic Re: We love the Sky at Night

Ya jammy bugger,we're all green with envy. :wink: :lol:

:D :D

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 4 months ago #45700 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: We love the Sky at Night

Also him asking me to show some of my images that I captured through the past number of years.

What Carl means is he tied poor Patrick to his seat and made him look at his images. "No I won't look at those nasty pictures, leave me alone you wretched little man"

I had previously met Patrick when he was over here to celebrate his 75th birthday. What I remember from then was this was a man no caught up in the importance of himself but one who was so happy to chat with an amateur astronomer like myself. He is still exactly the same. Iasked him 'What was his most memorable astronomical moment over the 50years he has been presenting TSAN". He looked at me as only he can and said without a hesitation, "Seeing the far side of the Moon for the first time." and then proceeded to tell the entire story.

I must say a Pink Floyd album wouldn't even make my top ten :)

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 4 months ago #45709 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: We love the Sky at Night
:-)

TSAN really should be broadcast earlier alright. But the BCC are intent on doing silly things .

uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20070508/tuk-...-bad-tv-6323e80.html

Eccentric astronomer Sir Patrick Moore has claimed that TV is worse today because the BBC is run by women.

The presenter of The Sky At Night also belittled female newsreaders in an interview with Radio Times, describing them as "these jokey women".

Sir Patrick, 84, criticised the BBC for showing interesting programmes very late at night, especially the 650th edition of The Sky At Night, which was put out at 2am.

"The trouble is that the BBC now is run by women and it shows: soap operas, cooking, quizzes, kitchen-sink plays. You wouldn't have had that in the golden days," he said.

"I would like to see two independent wavelengths - one controlled by women, and one for us, controlled by men. I think it may eventually happen."

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 4 months ago #45711 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: We love the Sky at Night
Thanks to everyone for the photos and little stories. Nice to attach faces to names and to learn of the little stories behind the scenes during this majestic event.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds