K-Tec

Image Processing / Enhancing - Help!

More
16 years 9 months ago #55537 by ISAW
Replied by ISAW on topic Re: Image Processing / Enhancing - Help!

Is there any chance you could scan it at a higher resolution, say 600dpi or even 1200?

Believe it or not, but that *is* a 1200dpi scan!! The original photo is small - almost like a contact print.

Phil.

do you have the whole pic Philip? Maybe something can be gleaned from the surroundings or clothes or whatever.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• philiplardner
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 9 months ago #55544 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: Image Processing / Enhancing - Help!
For what it's worth, I've uploaded the full image (2Mb+) to: ochra.110mb.com/temp/Unidentified%20grav...nevin%20possibly.tif

I have to say, I was pretty stunned that Dave came up with that name without any prompting! Well Done!!! I guess there's only one way to be sure and that is to enquire at the cemetery office in Glasnevin if the grave is located there and photograph it (this is beginning to feel a bit like a slightly spooky geo-cachine game!!) Funnily enough, if you turn up on their door-step, Glasnevin office will do the search for free (IIRC) but they want bags of wonga for an on-line search!! Go figure!

I'll certainly post an update if I discover anything useful. If I get out of the airport early enough tomorrow I might just have time to get to Glasnevin before it gets dark.

Phil.

More
16 years 9 months ago #55561 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Image Processing / Enhancing - Help!
I cant wait to read what you discover there Phil.

I have to say, I was pretty stunned that Dave came up with that name without any prompting! Well Done!!!
Phil.

and who says i cant see 26 belts when I look at Jupiter :wink: :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• philiplardner
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 9 months ago #55582 by philiplardner

...and who says i cant see 26 belts when I look at Jupiter :wink: :lol:

Yeah, right! :D

More
16 years 9 months ago #55684 by ISAW
Replied by ISAW on topic Re: Image Processing / Enhancing - Help!
Looks like Thomas O (meara?) in the bigger photo and "Grant"

the Trees may well be replaced but probably with the same type of tree. They seem to be poplars. yuou could date such a copse from the people who run the cemetry. You could then get some idea of orientation.You know you are two plots from the path. The Celtic cross in the background seems to be a goof deal higher than the surronuning headstones. There are also two more smaller celtic crosses behind. Possibly three (what is at the right hand side of the base of the large one - a double celtic cross? or a person?) Teh whiter ones suggest marble and the greyer ones granite or limestone. If anyone else was buiried later the attribution may have been added to or another plinth added like the triple one behind. The shrubs in the foreground might also be worth identifying.

Sadly you have no shadows so you can't guess the orientation of the cross. It may be a shadow effect but the "face" side of the cross seems darker from moss /weathering (depends really on how much longer it was there) suggesting a northern exposure.i.e the photo is looking to the South East.

The path may also be forking alongside the cross behind as it seems unusually wide there.

• philiplardner
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
16 years 9 months ago #55702 by philiplardner
Thanks Bart - that's a useful analysis of the photo.

I didn't get a chance to get in to Glasnevin today as I was late getting out of the airport... and it was cold and wet! I'm definitely going to go in there soon and ask in the office for help locating the plot.

Thanks again,

Phil.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds