K-Tec

Irish astronomical societies

More
16 years 7 months ago #61166 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Irish astronomical societies
I've gotten black and blue knees from astronomy.

I really have not found my comfort zone for observing. You'd think being in a wheelchair it would be easy to find.......but more often then not i end up out of the chair on my knees.

I really need to establish a proper viewing height for my scope.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #61185 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Irish astronomical societies
I dont think that this is as true as you might think, there is room for 2 seperate astro bodies on the island, I can never see them merging but it doesn't mean they are or have to be at each others throats. IFAS and AI people were at the CSP this weekend and everyone got on pretty well from what I could see.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #61193 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re: Irish astronomical societies
I agree with you Dave, and it seems to be relatively few people who have a problem.

It's very encouraging to see AI and IFAS getting on better, it's how it should be.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 7 months ago #61240 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Irish astronomical societies
As DaveL said, it was great that IFAS and AI members could meet at the Galway Star Party have a bit of craic and even the odd tipple or ten! Nobody really cared what organisations people belonged to in most cases people don;t even ask.

I think what's happened in many ways over the last few years is we've all grown up to a large degree and are more prepared to see our own failings rather than just say 'my way is right and no other way'.

I think we start to see each other (not just AI and IFAS, but even inside both organisations) as fellow astronomers with a heart in the hobby.

I should also clear up a couple of things, AI currently have somewhere between 3,000 and 3,500 paid up members (not quite sure of the exact figure) and talks are held outside of Dublin wherever possible. (Dr. Stuart Clarke tour was the last lot). The difficulty is always finding the people outside of Dublin to help organise more such tal;ks. I'm sure the IAS have exactly the same problem.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds