K-Tec

Irish astronomical societies

More
16 years 7 months ago #60967 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Irish astronomical societies

If AI were "Ireland's National Astronomy Society", i would have assumed they would have a Forum/bulliten board on their site just like this one.

They dont.

That's just down to having the people, resources, and time to voluntarily do it. Just because AEye doesn't have forums etc like us means nothing. IFAS just has a bigger "online" advantage I guess.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 7 months ago #60968 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re: Irish astronomical societies

let's hope everyone involved in astronomy in Ireland just enjoys the hobby no matter what club or organisation they belongs to or whether they are observers, photographers, armchair astronomers, magazine readers...

The AI/IFAS situation looks to have improved markedly in the time I've been here which gives hope that these antagonisms can indeed die out over time.

More
16 years 7 months ago #60973 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Irish astronomical societies

AI has many more current signed up members nationwide than all the IFAS clubs put together so is quite entitled to claim what it does.

AI's membership accounting practices have always struck me as a bit odd. From what I can gather it's a bit like the Hotel California, you can sign on any time you want but you can never leave, at least not when AI want to brag about membership numbers!

Anyhow, I don't think it's right for either AI or the IAS to use the definitive article in their title. The reality is that there are two national societies and to start bickering over who is 'the' national society seems stupid. It also seems like a great way to sour relationships between the two organisations.

Also, I have a small bone to pick with BOTH 'national' societies. Why are all your major talks in Dublin? Why don't your monthly talks move around the country? Do you see the Institute of Physics keep all their talks in the capital? No! There are many major urban centers in this country and they are all capable of hosting astronomy talks. I know AI have started to do some tours which is great to see but there is still FAR too much focus on Dublin by our 'national' clubs. BTW, can anyone remember a single IAS event outside the pale? I can't!

The relationship between IFAS and AI is far more at peace than in former times so let's hope everyone involved in astronomy in Ireland just enjoys the hobby no matter what club or organisation they belongs to or whether they are observers, photographers, armchair astronomers, magazine readers...

Amen to that!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 7 months ago #60991 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Irish astronomical societies

AI's membership accounting practices have always struck me as a bit odd. From what I can gather it's a bit like the Hotel California, you can sign on any time you want but you can never leave, at least not when AI want to brag about membership numbers!
Bart.

Its almost an urban myth at this stage, its so unbelievable. :lol:
Basically it goes that they count everyone who has ever joined, regardless if they leave or not. :shock:

If we did that at SAC we'd probabily have the largest city based club on the planet in proportion to the size of thr city given all those who have come and gone over the past 20+ years :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 7 months ago #60995 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Irish astronomical societies
How AEye wish to count their membership is up to them. The probability of having 10,000+ members is unbelievable regardless if you know how they take their membership count or not! ;) If you subscribe to their magazine, you (in the past) were counted as a member.

Anyway, that is not what the debate is about. Dread, I guess to answer your question is based on ones opinion. The fact that IAS have been around since 1937 kind of gives them the right of claiming the National status. But, of course, there's nothing legal or illegal about it. I guess it means a representation of how far your membership stretches. Sure, TAS could claim a regional, if not national club status (therefore not for its namesake a township one), as it shares membership with 7 different counties (and 2 countries at one stage).

Perspective, my friend, is what it is about. Any IFAS club, though catering for a small area, can also cater nationally.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 7 months ago #60997 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Irish astronomical societies

Anyway, that is not what the debate is about.
Seanie.

Yes, you're right, lets stay on topic, the main thing now is that there is alot less antogonism between AI and IFAS, this is a good thing.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds