K-Tec

Pack away those scopes -- a wet summer is forecast

More
16 years 5 months ago #65984 by iridium.flare
Replied by iridium.flare on topic Re: Pack away those scopes -- a wet summer is forecast
In all seriousness I just have a hard time believing that they can predict the weather for the next few months. They have a hard enough time getting it right for two days in the future.

Just take what comes - there's no point in wondering what's going to be happening in August. There's just no way to know.

It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 5 months ago #65988 by Petermark
First of all, meteoroligists are talking through their hats when they forecast an entire summer's weather.

They can't.

Secondly, in Ireland, 19 degrees below the Arctic Circle in Mid Atlantic,the chances are good that we will have a wet summer.

Doesnt take "Mystic Meg" to tell me that one.

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

More
16 years 5 months ago #65990 by dave_lillis

Ireland, 19 degrees below the Arctic Circle in Mid Atlantic,the chances are good that we will have a wet summer.

Doesnt take "Mystic Meg" to tell me that one.

you read my mind :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 5 months ago #65991 by Petermark
One other thing.
I was just on the phone to my grandmother a minute ago.
She told me that the Haws on the Hawthorn bushes were out early this year and the swallows are flying high... so its going to be a great Summer.

Them weathermen dont know their a*** from their elbow.

Mark.
Anybody who says that Earthshine is reflected Sunshine is talking Moonshine.

More
16 years 5 months ago #65992 by Vagelis Tsamis
Replied by Vagelis Tsamis on topic Re: Pack away those scopes -- a wet summer is forecast
The indian chief is getting old... He has got to do something so his people still respect him.
So one automn afternoon he invites the men to come to his tipi and says to them: "Ough.. Cut trees. Winter cold".
The men do as he orders and after a week report: "Big Chief, we cut trees ok. Look at them!". The chief says: "Not enough. Cut more trees. Winter very very cold". "Are you sure, chief?" "Yes, I am sure".
The men again do as he says, but he insists: "Cut more trees. Winter extremely cold". "Are you sure, chief?" "Yes, I am sure". So they do again.
And again and again.
But deep in his mind he is not so sure. So, secretely, he puts on his Levi's jeans, cowboy stetson hat and Rayban sunglasses, goes to the NASA Headquarters and finds the guy in the Weather Forecast Division. Computer screens, mainframes, satellite control room, hi-tech environment.
There he is presented the oficcial NASA model of the coming winter: Heavy snowfalls, lowest temperatures ever, tornados, crisis.
"Are you sure? He asks. Why your iron birds predict such a weather?"
"Satellites are just machines" the guy replies. "Machines do mistakes. To be honest with you, we typically just observe the indians. This year they ' ve gone crazy . They haven't left a single tree standing on the mountain slopes!"
:)

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

More
16 years 5 months ago #65994 by JohnMurphy
Very good - that's about the size of it all right :D :D :D :D

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds