K-Tec

Do you object to our new Image Size Guidelines

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 4 months ago #68036 by voyager

I prefer to look at the actual night sky,not at a computer monitor.

So what your saying is you have nothing to add to this particular discussion?

Yup, par for the course really.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 4 months ago #68037 by voyager

UKastroimaging have a great system in place where a user can upload a file and a thumbnail (around 600px) wide is automatically created. The user can then click on the image to see the full res shot. This would be ideal if it were possible here.

That's ecxactly what we're asking people to do. We don't host anyone's images so we can't implement an auto-thumbnail service ourselves but image hosting sites like Flickr do exactly that and provide you with the code to copy-and-paste the small image link-and-all into forums.

Bart.

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 4 months ago #68040 by paulevans
I tend to put things in my own space as the same images are often used in my blog, however a good image hosting site which has the additional advantage of being locally run and otherwise a friendly community is:-

www.pix.ie

Clever name :-)

Just an observation - it is in the nature of forums that discussions can assume a far greater importance in the view of the participants than it has in reality and this can lead to very sad circumstances arising - I think it is general knowledge that I and some committee members of one of NI's Astronomy Clubs have no time for each other, and it was a discussion just like this one that brought that about.

More
16 years 4 months ago #68043 by albertw

Just as an FYI, my smallest screen (19" LCD) has a standard 1280 horizontal res. I measured from the left edge of the main post area to the right hand side and it measures 942px. On my larger screen (20" wide LCD that same area measures 1256pixels. So I guess 800pixels would be fair for an onsite limit.

Well here are two images at 1000px and 800px for illustration.

How do those look on the monitors that most of you usually use to access the site? Ideally you should not need to scroll over to see the quote button on the left or to see the whole image.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 4 months ago #68045 by dmcdona
I have to scroll across the see the lower of the two images.

But then I use IE7 and as well as the browser window, I have a left pane open showing my favourites etc.

HTH

Dave

• voyager
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 4 months ago #68046 by voyager
I have to scroll for the bottom one too ... the 800px one fits nicely.

Bart.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds