K-Tec

ESA astronaut Gerhard Thiele spends the day with AI

More
16 years 4 months ago #68355 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: ESA astronaut Gerhard Thiele spends the day with AI
There is an issue with the term "degree" at present. Up to recently, you went to univertisty for 4 years and you got your BSc or BEng or whatever. The RTCs or Institutes of Technology mainly offered courses leading to Certs or Diplomas. However a new system have come into play which as I understand standardises qualifications across Europe.

What was called a Diploma in the RTCs is now called a degree (eg. BEng). A "proper" degree would now go by "BEng (Hons)" i.e. a honours degree.
Mabey this is what is meant by an "advanced" degree.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #68357 by pj30something
Plain and simple......................

An advanced degree = A university degree, such as a master's or doctorate, that is higher than a bachelor's.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 4 months ago #68359 by albertw

An advanced degree = A university degree, such as a master's or doctorate, that is higher than a bachelor's.

I might find some use for my MSc. after all! :-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 4 months ago #68360 by pj30something
If you qualify Albert................why not submit your application.

What have you got to lose?.

Paul C

More
16 years 4 months ago #68361 by albertw

If you qualify Albert................why not submit your application.

What have you got to lose?.

I'll see whats actually involved for a start, in particular whats in the medial requirements.

As for having an "advanced degree" see www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Astronaut_Selection/SEMZ54R03EF_0.html

Mind you it seems the bar will be quite high:
“The ideal European astronaut candidate should be competent in relevant scientific disciplines, including but not restricted to life sciences, physics, chemistry and medicine and/or be an engineer or pilot, and should have demonstrated outstanding abilities in research, applications or the educational field, preferably including operational skills. In addition, characteristics expected of all applicants include a good memory and reasoning ability, concentration, aptitude for spatial orientation, and manual dexterity,”

The brochure is also worth a look through esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/eac/ESA_Astro...lection_Brochure.pdf

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 4 months ago #68362 by pj30something
In addition, characteristics expected of all applicants include a good memory and reasoning ability, concentration, aptitude for spatial orientation, and manual dexterity,”

i fit all that................but dont have an advanced science degree or pilots licence.

Not to mention i have Spina Bifida,LOL.

Paul C

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds