K-Tec

ESA astronaut Gerhard Thiele spends the day with AI

More
16 years 4 months ago #68324 by pj30something
advanced degree
n.
A university degree, such as a master's or doctorate, that is higher than a bachelor's.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #68325 by iridium.flare
Indeed - I am also confused by exactly what's meant by advanced.

To me a BSc qualifies as advanced (it certainly felt advanced at the time!) but to others it could suggest MSc or even PhD.

Phoenix, a geology degree may not be of use in Earth orbit, but who says that's where you might be going. They're gonna need geologists on the Moon and Mars. :D

It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

More
16 years 4 months ago #68326 by pj30something
Indeed a geology degree will be useful somewhere at some time. I should have gone to college and obtained one of those..............but at the time...i didnt know what i wanted to do.

Paul C

More
16 years 4 months ago #68327 by johnomahony
Back in 1991 (I think) all you needed was a science or engineering degree as a minimum. An advanced degree suggests a masters or doctorate qualification but I guess suitable experience would be considered (such as climbing Mount Everest) :wink: . It is very hard to know exactly what they are looking for. Someone who might be considered a natural leader and technical expert destined for an executive position somewhere may or may not be the the sort of person they are looking for to spend several months in a tin can in orbit with several other people from different nations. It is a very rare selection process. I guess that the psychological selection process is fairly critical.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
16 years 4 months ago #68329 by phoenix
Maybe the qualifications are a bit loose since after all they also ask for a pilots licence but I can't see them letting a newbie behind the controls :?

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
16 years 4 months ago #68351 by pj30something
I'm sure when they ask for an advanced degree OR a pilots licence................they mean a person who has a full pilots licence and also a few years experience of flying.

If you have a licence to fly (small or big aircraft) that's a start. I'm sure full training in flying an orbital craft is provided.

People from the Irish air corps will be fine candidates.

Paul C

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds