K-Tec

Tunguska Event~1908

More
16 years 3 months ago #69448 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Tunguska Event~1908
If the lake was formed by the comet, then exploring the lake bed sediments will surely have tell tale materials in it, it looks like a simple one to resolve.

As for micro black holes, I'm more inclined to believe it was an exploding UFO then that, it really looks like it was a small comet or asteroid.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #69489 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:

Evidence points to the Tunguska impactor being part of the Beta Taurid meteor stream - fragments of Comet Encke (2P) which underwent a major split several thousand years ago. The Beta Taurids are a daytime stream, peaking on June 30 - we re-encounter the stream later in the year as the Taurids in October/November.

I remember seeing this on TV about a great fear that if it was from this stream, then we would have no idea of seeing it coming whatsoever on the daylit side of earth in late June.

Keith..

More
16 years 3 months ago #69546 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:

Evidence points to the Tunguska impactor being part of the Beta Taurid meteor stream - fragments of Comet Encke (2P) which underwent a major split several thousand years ago. The Beta Taurids are a daytime stream, peaking on June 30 - we re-encounter the stream later in the year as the Taurids in October/November.

I remember seeing this on TV about a great fear that if it was from this stream, then we would have no idea of seeing it coming whatsoever on the daylit side of earth in late June.

Keith..

I'll sleep better tonight... ;)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 3 months ago #69569 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Tunguska Event~1908
There certainly seems to be a lot more investigations going on around the Tunguska event lately.

The Americans are convinced it was an asteroid - based on deposits taken from trees. The Russians are convinced it was a comet, and the Italians have a team investigating the lake to see if they can identify possible debris from the progenitor.

Just imagine if it had hit a few hours earlier then St. Petersburg would have been obliterated. :roll:

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 3 months ago #69576 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Tunguska Event~1908

If the lake was formed by the comet, then exploring the lake bed sediments will surely have tell tale materials in it, it looks like a simple one to resolve.

I've wondered about that also. There is a perfectly circular lake in the Slieve Bloom mountains called Clear Lake. TAS went up on 'expedition' there in 1994 prior to our big sponsored walk. It was purported that a meteor, seen over the mountains in the late 1800's, might have caused the lake. We took samples of the water and sediment, and sent them to UCG and UCD. Nothing conclsive came back, but put the chances of it being an impact crater further down the list.

Maybe something like that was done in Russia, but because of that damned Iron Curtain of theirs...

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #69614 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Tunguska Event~1908

I've wondered about that also. There is a perfectly circular lake in the Slieve Bloom mountains called Clear Lake. TAS went up on 'expedition' there in 1994 prior to our big sponsored walk. It was purported that a meteor, seen over the mountains in the late 1800's, might have caused the lake. We took samples of the water and sediment, and sent them to UCG and UCD. Nothing conclsive came back, but put the chances of it being an impact crater further down the list.

Maybe something like that was done in Russia, but because of that damned Iron Curtain of theirs...

Seanie.

But IF (as is thought) that the meteor OR comet exploded 5 miles above the earth and the whole event was caused by the shockwave of said meteor or comet, surely there would not be very much if ANY material left to find to prove either theory .

As seems to be the case cuz the arguement for both still continue today.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds