K-Tec

Tunguska Event~1908

More
16 years 3 months ago #69649 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Tunguska Event~1908

But IF (as is thought) that the meteor OR comet exploded 5 miles above the earth and the whole event was caused by the shockwave of said meteor or comet, surely there would not be very much if ANY material left to find to prove either theory .

As seems to be the case cuz the arguement for both still continue today.

That is what keeps it interesting. You see, evidence of past major asteroidal and cometary impacts left behind sediment rich in the element iridium in our crustal layers, something naturaly extremely rare on Earth, but rich (in relative standards) in asteroids -> comets from the formation of the early Solar System. I don't know myself how volatile an element iridium is, but the evidence we see is buried in sedimentary rock, so what could have been left on the surface at Tunguska could well have dissipated by now.

Iridium found as a result of a comet impact (like that found to date to around 63 million years ago in the Earth's crust) is also only a recently discovered phenomenon, so I don't think it was high on the list of priorities when the first expedition to Tunguska occured over 10 years later in the mid 1920's.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pj30something
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #69661 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Tunguska Event~1908
Thats pretty much my understanding Seanie. The only "physical" evidence left behind is elevated readings of certain elements in rock,soil and wood samples from the area. As most of these elements are present in both meteors AND comets.....................these finding are pretty inconclusive..as to the culprit.

This newly discovered Iridium from comet strike 63 million yrs ago kinda blows the whole debate wide open once again..............could have been either.

I guess we may never know. All i can think is the earth being hit by an asteroid,meteor etc doesnt sound too scarey (depending on the size), but a comet hitting the earth sounds damn scarey.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds