K-Tec

How to use a webcam for astrophotography ?

More
19 years 7 months ago #8885 by dpower
Thanks folks- focusing is still a problem, but I'm getting there. I took this picture with my scope- it was and isn't great- but bare in mind that it's a small scope: etx-70.
Half an hour to focus you say? Maybe this is where I'm going wrong. The image below took every last scrap of Photoshop knowledge I have to get a decent result , and every scrap of decency I have not to go too far and give you a 'fake' image :D

[/img]

IFAS web team

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 7 months ago #8886 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: How to use a webcam for astrophotography ?
That's not bad Dave.
Was that woth or without a barlow?

More
19 years 7 months ago #8890 by dpower
That was without the Barlow- cloud was popping in and out. Unfortunately I only got the one shot of it before I had to move indoors again. The image was still quite blurry, but I'm getting the hang of using Photoshop to adjust astronomy images. I read that web book you gave me on the subject and it gave me a few ideas. I think that K3ccd software did the trick also.

Thanks for all your help on Sunday!!

If you have any images I could play around with I'd appreciate it. A good close up of a planet or perhaps a nebula- any quality will do! See what i can do with them...

IFAS web team

More
19 years 7 months ago #8891 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: How to use a webcam for astrophotography ?
Next time, it'd be worth trying the barlow. However, this will make it a little bit more difficult to line up the planet. Should make the image bigger though. Hopefully you'll find it easier to control the brightness in K3.

As for images to play with, I'll send you a PM.

More
19 years 7 months ago #8896 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: How to use a webcam for astrophotography ?
Hi,
Tthe killer for me when i started off was trying to estimate the brightness when capturing an image, seems like your hitting the same problem, better to under estimate the brightness then over estimate it.
You just need more practice,
I remember my first image of Mars looked more like the chocolate bar then the planet :oops:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• daveg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 7 months ago #8935 by daveg
Seanie

In fact the best scopes for hi res planetary is between 8 - 12 inches. Check out Christopher Go or Geoff Chester they both use C8s.

Dave

When getting the brightness right make sure that you can see detail ie for Saturn keep the cassini visible or the gap between the rings and the planet. Feel free to copy any of my images from the files section to practice on.

DaveG

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds