K-Tec

Some very sad news.

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
17 years 2 days ago #52911 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: Some very sad news.
To Colm,

Such a loss to Astronomy in this country. And the loss of a Great friend. I will always remember your enthusiasm when you gave lectures your knowledge on space travel was second to none. You would not even look at notes when giving talks. The banter we used to have in the pub when you were showing me your images was great you were so easy to wind up. When I spoke to you in the shop last week I had no idea it was the last time I would see you. I will miss you my friend. Rest in peace. :cry:

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 days ago #52922 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Sad News
It was a great shock to hear this sad news today, my condolences to his family and friends. I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Colm in person after one of his excellent lectures (many moons ago) on the latest developments in spaceflight of which he was quite knowledgeable and could communicate this knowledge very well to any person or audience whether written or spoken. His tireless work in bringing this knowledge to the people is something I thank him for and is to be commended.
When this particular lecture was finished I got chatting to Colm, it was then he realised that he had no way in getting to his home in Dunboyne Co. Meath from Dublin. I just happened to be going his way, I told him I thought this very humorous since he had only finished talking about the large distances that humans have covered in space and he had trouble covering 15 miles to get to his home and he hadn’t even left the planet, he got a good laugh from that one!
During the journey to Dunboyne I found Colm to be a very intelligent, witty and just a good all round guy with a vibrant personality that I was lucky to meet and converse with.
So Colm, wherever you find yourself on your new journey in this timeless, boundless and amazing multiverse we all wish you the very best, until then!

Ad astra et ultra
“To The Stars and Beyond”

Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
17 years 1 day ago #52943 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Some very sad news.
copying this from the A.I. website. Hope thats ok. www.astronomy.ie/colmjcannon.html

Colm J. Cannon 1969 - 2007

It is with the deepest regret that we announce the death of founder member of Astronomy Ireland, Colm J. Cannon, who died suddenly at his home in Co. Meath on Monday morning October 22nd, aged 38. He was born in Birmingham but spent most of his life since childhood at the family home in Dunboyne, Co. Meath.

Astronomer, writer, and broadcaster, Colm was the spaceflight correspondent for Astronomy Ireland since the foundation of the society in 1990. His knowledge on the subject of spaceflight, both manned and unmanned, was encyclopaedic. Whenever a spaceflight issue arose Colm could always be relied upon to provide exceptional insights into the subject.
Colm was something of an expert on solar observing. He ground his own mirror for a telescope and had his own backyard observatory.

He served on many Astronomy Ireland committees in a voluntary capacity and in 1997 he was employed as a full-time staff writer when Astronomy & Space magazine was launched in the UK. Before helping to found Astronomy Ireland in 1990 he served on the committee of the Irish Astronomical Society. He left full-time employment with A&S magazine to work for Ireland's first national interactive science centre based in Tralee Co. Kerry where he made many friends. More recently he went on to work for the OPW in the Phoenix Park.
Colm also gave many public lectures and appeared on TV and radio numerous times representing Astronomy Ireland. His enthusiasm is evident in the I.S.S Astronomy Ireland webpage www.astronomy.ie/iss.html
He will be sadly missed by all who knew him and Astronomy Ireland wishes to convey our deepest sympathy to his family, his work colleagues in the OPW and to his many other friends.
Hear Colm talk to Pat Kenny on RTE RADIO 1 (Monday January 9th 2006) about the Space Shuttle before giving the Astronomy Ireland New Year Public Lecture 2006. www.astronomy.ie/audio/patkenny_20060109.mp3

Astronomy Ireland is awaiting details on Colm's funeral arrangements and on his family's wishes with respect to floral tributes. On behalf of all the members of Astronomy Ireland, the society will be organising an appropriate floral tribute or charity donation.

In addition to this, close friends of Colm in Astronomy Ireland will arrange a separate floral tribute (or charitable donation) which is being organised by David Grennan. If you would like to be associated with this tribute please contact David by e-mailing skydiary@astronomy.ie

Funeral Arrangements:
When details are finalised we will let you know the details here.

A Book of Condolences will be opened in the Astronomy Ireland offices in Artane and will be open to the public Monday - Saturday up to 5.30pm (Map: www.astronomy.ie/map.html )

David Moore Ben Emmett
Chairman Director

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 1 day ago #52951 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Some very sad news.
My condolences to his family, a real tragedy especially given his age !

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• DaveGrennan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 1 day ago #52952 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Some very sad news.
Albert, many thanks for posting that. Much appreciated.

I have just received confirmation that funeral details are as follows.

Remains arriving at St Peter & St Paul's Church, Dunboyne, Co Meath tomorrow 24th October at 7pm.

Funeral Mass Thursday 25th October at 11.00 am, followed by Burial at the New Cemetery, Dunboyne.

As many of the Astronomy Ireland team will be attending, please contact us if you would like to attend but need a lift.

Also it appears now that Colm sadly died as a result of heart failure brought on by a seizure. Colm was being treated for epilepsy in recent years. Only last week he spoke of his feeling that he was over the worst and expected good news on a return trip to hospital this week. Sadly this is not to be.

I will pass on your many kind messages of condolences to Colm's family.

Personally I'm still utterly shocked that we have lost someone like Colm. I've known him over 17 years. I will always remember his hearty laugh, big cheesy grin and the inevitable good humoured slagging sessions which would occur when we got together. You just don't expect to hear news like this. No doubt he'll be regailing those above with his corney jokes, Colm was the only one confirmed to tell worse jokes than me.

May he rest in peace.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• DaveGrennan
  • Topic Author
More
17 years 17 hours ago #53027 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Some very sad news.
Folks,

If you would like to send a message of condolence to Colm's family you can do so by e-mailing colmcondolences@astronomy.ie. Please remove any unnecessary stuff like quotes and disclaimers, signatures etc.. etc if you can. All messages will be printed bound and given to Colm's family.

Thanks,

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds