K-Tec

Ballycullen Public Night

More
16 years 9 months ago #60141 by darragh
Replied by darragh on topic Re: Ballycullen Public Night
I'll over tonight around 9pm with scope if the weather is good
Darragh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #60162 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Ballycullen Public Night
Bit of an aulde wind tonight. Let's hope for better tomorrow night.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 9 months ago #60173 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Ballycullen Public Night
I wonder did tonights go ahead?

It did actually clear up somewhat out here in Bray anyway. Still very very windy though and all the stars dimmed by the haze. Looks like it was probably just a moon and Mars observing session as a result if indeed it even went ahead.

I really was all set to head over after I noticed a few stars appearing at about 8:30 but just as I was about to start loading up the gear into the car I ended up having some family business to attend to. That was sorted by 9:30 but by then it would have taken me at least 30 minutes to load the car and drive out and probably only arrive at 10 or so. Figured there wasn't much point at that stage when the Star Party was due to finish at 10.30.

I'll be raging if I find that it was indeed on and was extended to midnight!! :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 9 months ago #60174 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Ballycullen Public Night
I passed by that way on my way home and it wasnt looking good. The cloud was thicker then it is/was out the Killiney/Bray way. At best i think it would have been a moon only event.....................not bad in itself cuz the moon looks great with a cloud halo around it and the cloud was thin enough to still give pretty good views through a scope.

As for the scopes blowing in the wind.....could ruin any chance of observing.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 9 months ago #60190 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Ballycullen Public Night
Well we did get my predicted clear patch, and we set up an hour late at 9:30 and didn't break up until 11:30.

The inclement weather early on meant that we had less visitors than last year. I would have preferred the weather to have been clear earlier then we would have gotten all the parents with kids out, but we did have a lot of interested participants anyway.

Dare I predict a clear spot for tomorrow night? I'll update you tomorrow after I've had time to study the IR.

For those who have met me before please excuse the roadkill on my face. Well I couldn't just leave it where I'd hit it - could I?
From Left - Dave Brannigan, Darragh, yours truly, Deirdre Kelleghan and Simon.

Since I got this one right - weather wise - I expect more scopers tomorrow if I give another prediction. Anyway - if I'm wrong there's a beer in it for you (Friday night after all!).

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 9 months ago #60191 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: Ballycullen Public Night
ARRGGHH!! 11.30 :roll: I knew I should have headed out regardless!

I swapped early shifts in work for tonight so don't finish till 9pm tomorrow night. Do you think tomorrow night might be an extended session like tonight till 11.30. Was that extension only on account of the weather.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds