• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
16 years 3 months ago #70978 by DeirdreKelleghan
100 Hours of Astronomy April 2009 was created by DeirdreKelleghan

Hi everyone

I would like to know how many amateur astronomy clubs under IFAS will take part in 100 Hours of Astronomy?

100-Hours of Astronomy is a , round-the-clock, round-the-globe event, including live webcasts from research observatories, public observing events and other activities around the world. One of the key goals is to allow as many people as possible to look through a telescope, as Galileo first did 400 years ago. The 100 Hours of Astronomy will take place from 2-5 April. The Moon is at first quarter on 2 April, so it is at a good phase for early evening observing over this period.

There are several parts envisioned:

* An opening event with the telescope Galileo used to make his groundbreaking observations.
* Science centres, including planetariums and science museums, at which live webcasts will be held from select science centres, live observations will be made by visitors using remotely-operated telescopes, and enhanced outreach programs will be expedited through participation of amateur astronomy groups holding public observing sessions.
* School programs, in which groups of astronomy enthusiasts such as astronomy clubs conduct educational sessions that include observing and other educational opportunities.
* Live observatory webcasts, observing events and other activities connecting large observatories around the world.
* Sidewalk astronomy, in which telescopes are made available to the public within population centres in order to maximize the number of people who observe through them.

The main event of the parts will take place consecutively in the order above, building from a high-profile opening event to a global star party engaging as many people as possible. There will be much more information on the IYA2009 web site soon, and a 100 Hours of Astronomy web site launching before long.

I would like to see all clubs and societies in IFAS participating in this global event. In the past there was some efforts made by clubs around the country for International Astronomy Day.

I would like to see a pulling together again of amateur astronomers here in Ireland for this important Cornerstone Project.

Remember International Astronomy Day ?
www.irishastronomy.org/boards/viewtopic.php?t=6040&start=0

As I understand it any IYA 2009 notion, plan or event should connect to
Cornerstone Projects to be a valid recordable happening in IYA 2009.
That is my understanding of the situation at the moment.

I am in contact with the chair of 100 Hours of Astronomy, he will keep me informed as things develop and more details become available.

You may think it is a bit early to sow the seed about this but , really I think it is never too early. There will be so much going on in 2009 , that astronomers need to choose what they can achieve and which Cornerstone Projects suit them.
I encourage all IFAS clubs to join in this project together in April 2009. lets do it, we can do sidewalk astronomy and think about other types of involvement.

Please let me have some feedback on this asap so a formal proposal can be sent to the IYA Irish Committee for 2009 events.

Many thanks

Deirdre Kelleghan
PRO IFAS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #70985 by EPK
Replied by EPK on topic Re: 100 Hours of Astronomy April 2009
We in the EAAS will be up for that, Deirdre, as observing events are what we, like Tiggers, do best.
Mind you, as of January 1st we'll have a new name...the Northern Ireland Amateur Astronomy Society (NIAAS), but yes, we'll be willing and eager participants in this and other events such as the Moonwatches.

Meade 16" Lightbridge
Tal 6" Newtonian
Meade LXD75 6" Newtonian
Tal 4" Refractor
Panoptic and Nagler eyepieces.
Attitude and Smartassery

For forever and a day I shall chase that white whale - Captain Ahab

More
16 years 3 months ago #71004 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: 100 Hours of Astronomy April 2009
Because we're a college society the committee aren't around to confirm but I'm 90% sure Astro2 would be up for running a side-walk astronomy evening for this.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
More
16 years 3 months ago #71133 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
IAS
Astro 2
TAS
Galway
EAAE
Shannonside

Interest in taking part has been expressed by the clubs above.
Any more for the list, I need to put in an official notice soon.

Thanks

Deirdre Kelleghan
PRO IFAS

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
More
16 years 3 months ago #71605 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
www.astronomy2009.org/100hoursofastronomy/index.html

The 100 Hours of Astronomy 2009 page is now up.
Registration page will be available soon.
Take a look, it will be very worthwhile to take part in my opinion.
Many thanks to those amateur astronomy clubs in Ireland who have already agreed to be involved.

Deirdre Kelleghan
PRO IFAS

More
15 years 8 months ago #76191 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:100 Hours of Astronomy April 2009
Hi All,
We're gearing up for this in April here in Limerick and I did some digging interms of what we can do and if we need permits.
We intend doing the nights involved from a location in the city boundary that will give us a good view of the moon and Saturn, the location has yet to be decided but will be within the city boundary and very east to get to. We're also going to advertise it in the local paper.

We went to the gardai and they said that we don't need a permit from them unless we're raising money at it, and we're not.
So, we went to the city corporation and they said that they would not have any problems with it so long as
1, we were not causing an obstruction,
2, not blocking a road or causing an obstruction
3, not expecting more then 5000 people,
4, we cannot hand out leaflets unless they are educational in some manner.
5, we have public liability insurance, and we do in the form of IFAS insurance,
6, leave the area in the same state as we found it.

So basically we dont need permits from anyone.
I'd imagine other cities would have the same rules.
I hope this helps other clubs out in their plans for the event in April.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds