IFAS Astronomer Of The Year 2008

More
15 years 10 months ago #75160 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re:IFAS Astronomer Of The Year 2008
Fair lay lads, well deserved indeed!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #75164 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re:IFAS Astronomer Of The Year 2008
This is a really great honour and I just want to say thanks for all your kind words.

As it happens, I only just found out in the last hour or so - things have been a bit hectic work-wise for the last few weeks so I've been unaccustomedly deprived of participating in the boards as much as usual.

Anyhow, I rang Dave G up and we gave each other a few mutual (figurative) backslaps. Of course, Dave is absolutely delighted as you can expect and as he deserves to be.

I think that its also fair to mention Andreas Doppler (who also happens to be mad busy at work) - he was an instrumental part in both discoveries and certainly deserves credit too. So I'm sure the three of us will have a wee dram to celebrate over the Holiday Season.

Lastly, as I have always maintained, all of the work I have done (and I'm pretty sure Dave G will agree) is a testament to all ye folks too. All those tips, encouragement, answers to difficult questions that you gave have played their part. Also, the enthusiasm at the various talks we've done over the years has made its mark and driven us to these achievements. So, a big thanks to you all for both the award and for playing your part getting us there.

Dave McD

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
15 years 10 months ago #75165 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re:IFAS Astronomer Of The Year 2008
Wow, that is utterly stunning and totally unexpected.

I am deeply honoured by this award and also humbled to be joinly awarded this along with Dave Mc. To be honoured like this by your peers is, to my mind, just as exciting as the discoveries. Its funny that this should happen to day as I've just been talking with Dave Mc and we were both bemoaning the fact that both our 'rock hunting' setups are experiencing technical gremlins at the moment.

I know there are people out there day in day out (or should I say night in night out) who are doing the real work of IFAS which is public outreach and to my mind these guys are my IFAS astronomers of the year not just this year but every year.

Deepest thanks to the committee of IFAS and to all those who nominated us for the award and also many thanks for the preceeding kind comments.

I'm certainly looking forward to the International year of astronomy and hoping that it will be the best year ever for Irish astronomy and for IFAS. I'm sure Dave and myself and all of the people involved in amateur science will continue our efforts and hopefully a few more of you will think of joining us and thus help keep astronomy at the forefront on this little island.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
15 years 10 months ago #75174 by jmcc5
Replied by jmcc5 on topic Re:IFAS Astronomer Of The Year 2008
Well done. Great achievementB)

Joanna
Cork Astronomy Club

More
15 years 10 months ago #75177 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:IFAS Astronomer Of The Year 2008
Well done Dave's! B)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
15 years 10 months ago #75180 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re:IFAS Astronomer Of The Year 2008
Congratulations to both of you. Well done !!

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds