K-Tec

International Astronomical Sketching Exhibition

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
15 years 8 months ago #76464 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:International Astronomical Sketching Exhibition
picasaweb.google.com/skysketcher/DeadlyM...rishChildrenIYA2009#

I have just added most of the Cork and Kerry children's moon drawings to the web album. These will be joined by moon drawings from Dublin, Waterford , Birr and New York .

All of the children who took part in the program were unaware that our solar system had any other moons but our own.

Ninety nine percent of the evaluation forms indicated that after the program the children knew the basic terminology regarding our moon , ie Terminator , Limb , et cetra.

Ninety percent of the children did not know that there are robots in space. They learned that and drew the images taken by many of these robots.

One of the questions on the evaluation sheet asks.

If you could name our moon , what would you call it?
Ninety per cent of answers were egocentric ie John Mc Carthy's moon , Rachael's moon, Sam's Moon. Or they were very richly warm names like , My Moon, Crystal star, Luke Skywalker , Shiny Ball.

I do not want an award for this work , I would just like to see amateur astronomers in this country getting out and showing children the night sky.

That's not a big ask and its fun

Deirdre Kelleghan

PRO IFAS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds