K-Tec

International Astronomical Sketching Exhibition

More
15 years 8 months ago #76328 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:International Astronomical Sketching Exhibition
Looks like a great time was had by all. Pity I missed it but I had already arranged to head over to Astrofest. Looking forward to seeing the exhibition when it comes to Birr Castle.

Michael.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #76337 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:International Astronomical Sketching Exhibition
Great array of photos there Deirdre. You know, I didn't really pay attention to the event coming, I could have given you some of my work to display. The kids stuff there looks pretty cool and imaginative! Did many attend overall?

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
15 years 8 months ago #76338 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:International Astronomical Sketching Exhibition
Thanks Seanie

I am over subscribed and under funded for the full exhibition which is scheduled for a twined opening with Whirlpool in Birr Castle Science Center. Nearer the time I will see if I can do anything for you. I will not get around to framing the rest until perhaps June or July, and I would ideally like more Irish sketches in there. There are approx 55 sketches in the full version , with some of the best yet to be sorted out and framed.

The attendance was estimated at approx 250 people , of which around 170 came inside to view the exhibition.There was a public star party in the courtyard and free food and drink in the restaurant/ gallery. Art/ astronomy workshop Deadly Moons in the classroom, so busy busy evening for all concerned.

About 25 or so members of Cork Geological Association came on Saturday morning.

The exhibition will remain in BCO till end of May.

Another venue in Dublin is interested in it, so watch this space.

Deirdre Kelleghan
PRO IFAS

More
15 years 8 months ago #76383 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re:International Astronomical Sketching Exhibition
Deirdre Kelleghan wrote:

Nearer the time I will see if I can do anything for you. I will not get around to framing the rest until perhaps June or July, and I would ideally like more Irish sketches in there.

Did you frame them personally? I think that's a first for an artists exhibition! Would it not help if you asked for an entry fee for those that want to exhibit work, particularly from overseas (every try sending a framed picture 3 X 3 feet via freight?), which would then lighten your load? If I was an exhibitor, I would not expect you to go through that hassle for me.

Deirdre Kelleghan wrote:

There are approx 55 sketches in the full version , with some of the best yet to be sorted out and framed.

The attendance was estimated at approx 250 people , of which around 170 came inside to view the exhibition.

Those are very good numbers, your hard work paid off then!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 8 months ago #76416 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:International Astronomical Sketching Exhibition
I got the idea for the sketching exhibition in 2007. My contacts were at that time far and wide in the sketching world. The idea was targeted toward IYA 2009 to bring 21st century astronomer/sketchers work together in what is considered the ancestral home of astronomical sketching ie Birr Castle.

Sir Patrick Moore gave me a selection of his sketches across his lifetime , from 1940 to 1998.

I applied to the Arts Council and to the IYA Committee here for funding during 2008. I sought professional guidance from Create Ireland ( a free service) to fill in the Arts Council form in a way to give me the best chance of getting funded. Of the 109 applications for what is called "The Once Off Project Award" they funded just 24. I was not one of the 24:-(

I had agreement with the three venues , Blackrock Castle Observatory , Birr Castle and Dunsink over a year ago .

The funding was intended to cover
A. The framing of the works , most of which were with me by last summer.
B. An outreach to schools package , that would enable me to do a moon drawing program for children.
Materials , petrol , whatever it took.
C To produce a booklet of high quality , so that at least one sketch from each contributor would be featured and a selection of children's work also.

I wrote Deadly Moons a fun , very vocal , drawing program that teaches children about our moon and some exotic moons in our solar system.

Deadly Moons was embraced by UNAWE ie Universe Awarness for Young Children
UNAWE is a cornerstone project for IYA 2009
Moon drawings from children that took part in my program last year were exhibited in Paris
last month in UNESCO www.unawe.org/site/
Exhibiting children's work is really good for their self esteem so I was very pleased for them.

The drawing program connected the Exhibition to IYA 2009 directly as I intend to exhibit children's work in all the venues with the adults work.

Evaluation is part of IYA so both Deadly Moons and the Exhibition will be evaluated.
Deadly Moons already has evaluation information sent to Leiden University for a professional to assess and analyze to improve communication to children about the Universe.

So neither the Arts Council or the IYA people funded the effort.

BCO and later a local Cork newspaper, the Evening Echo funded the framing of 20 sketches.

The Dublin Institute of Advanced Studies are funding the framing of the rest of the work.

I have no further funds to frame any extra work, or move the exhibition from where it is to where it is going
next. No funds for the outreach end of it either. So last week in BCO I did the moon drawing program for a Rathpecon National school as I was there and had the set up.

I would like to thank Kerry Astronomy Club for inviting me down to do a talk in the Tralee Inst of Technology on Tuesday and for setting up the Deadly Moons visit to the wonderful children from St Josephs National School Ballyheigue next morning.

It would have been impractical to get contributors to send original pastels in frames under glass.
That could have been a very big mess.

The exhibition will remain in BCO till the end of May , then a venue in Dublin has expressed interest.
Then it will be part of a twinned opening of Whirlpool in September , then it moves to Dunsink Observatory for Science Week in November.

That is it in a nutshell

Deirdre Kelleghan

More
15 years 8 months ago #76447 by JohnMurphy
Dee,
You are one amazing lady.
I know quite a bit about the effort, setbacks and disapointments that went into this, and despite the success It still does not do justice to the efforts you have put into it. So I think IFAS should award you a medal (gold preferrably, with good resale value). Seriously, well done. This exhibition is of a quality that can travel all over the world and it is all down to the drive and determination of one woman - hats off to Dee Kelleghan:woohoo:

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds