K-Tec

Michael O'Connell Wins Astrophotography Competition!

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #80856 by Seanie_Morris
Well done on the achievement Michael, and a superb photo to boot! You kept that competition pretty quiet - afraid of a little, er, competition? :P

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by Seanie_Morris.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #80865 by ayiomamitis
Dear Michael,

Many congrats from me as well. The photo is very impressive and most worthy of the honour!

I had received an email from S@N surrounding the competition but decided not to enter on purpose and after reading the rules and regulations.

What really pushed me away is the fact that both the Greenwich Observatory as well as the magazine can use the submitted photos (1) ANY way they like, (2) without your permission and (3) royalty-free. In other words, you provide them full rights (and non-exclusive ownership) by participating in the contest.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
15 years 1 month ago #80872 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re:Michael O'Connell Wins Astrophotography Competition!
Yep. A great photo Michael. And great accolades also.

V. well done indeed.

Paul

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

More
15 years 1 month ago #80873 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re:Michael O'Connell Wins Astrophotography Competition!
Well done Michael, great photo.

Michael.

More
15 years 1 month ago #80874 by nectarine
Michael, that is brilliant news. Well done and congratulations!
Bernie

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

More
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #80879 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Michael O'Connell Wins Astrophotography Competition!
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I entered the competition just for the heck of it with absolutely no expection of anything happening. However, over the last couple of weeks, I received a number of e-mails from ROG requesting further details on the image. I knew things were getting good when I got a License Agreement to sign concerning use of the image, percentage royalties etc. I was also told approx 7-10 days ago that my image was in the final 5 for the Our Solar System categry but was asked not to broadcast to as they were preparing press releases etc.

So, I flew over there yesterday and went to ROG for 6:30pm. They really made a great effort to make everyone feel welcome with a lovely wine reception. Then when the winners were announced, I really couldn't believe it! After the presentation of the prizes, they brought us in to the display room where all 20 images are on display until early Jaurnay next year. The display is very nicely done with all images on light-illumianted glass panels which really bring the images to life compared to standard colour prints. Overall, it was a fantastic evening with the chance to mingle with other photographers and the crews of the Sky at Night magazine & programme. The prize money covered the flights, trains, food, tolls, parking fees etc and I got a 1 year sub to the Sky at Night magazine. However, the experience of the evening was fantastic irrespective of the money.

I was in two minds about going over to the event in the first place as I was quite pessimistic of my chances afer seeing the other images shortlisted - many thanks to Dee for her encouragement & support! Many thanks also to Dave Mc for his support and publishing details up here.

Regards & Thanks,

Michael.
Last edit: 15 years 1 month ago by michaeloconnell.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds