K-Tec

Michael O'Connell Wins Astrophotography Competition!

More
15 years 1 month ago #80880 by dmcdona
ayiomamitis wrote:

What really pushed me away is the fact that both the Greenwich Observatory as well as the magazine can use the submitted photos (1) ANY way they like, (2) without your permission and (3) royalty-free. In other words, you provide them full rights (and non-exclusive ownership) by participating in the contest.

Couldn't possibly have been that you didn't have any worth entering, could it? ;)

Anyhow, thanks be to God that you didn't - I'd say if Michael knew that, he definately wouldn't have made the trip.

By the way, still desperately seeking Paul Smith...

Cheers
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #80881 by ayiomamitis
Hi Dave,

Michael's comments about a licensing agreement with royalties etc is very puzzling to me since it contradicts what they had published as part of their rules.

In fact, they very specifically emphasized that one must accept these rules prior to proceeding with FLICKR etc.

I just checked their rules to make sure I am not hallucinating (quiet, Seanie! :laugh: ) and they specify the following (text in bold is mine for emphasis):

"For each photo that you add to the group on Flickr, you grant the Royal Observatory Greenwich a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free licence to use, publicly perform and publicly display by means of the Flickr API your photo solely in connection with the Astronomy Photographer of the Year group, competition and exhibition, without any further notice or remuneration to you. This applies to all images in the group including those not entered in the competition."

Now, to add insult to injury (!), they proceed a paragraph or two later as follows for short-listed photos (again, bold is mine for emphasis):

"agree to give the Royal Observatory Greenwich a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free, five year licence to use, copy, modify, translate and/or adapt, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display by any means and in any media and create derivative works of, and copy, distribute, publicly perform and publicly display such derivative works of your photo, even if you remove it from the Flickr group"

Finally, for commercial use of short-listed photos, they specify:

"If your image is shortlisted we reserve the right to reproduce it for commercial purposes including, but not limited to postcards and posters. If your image is selected, we will enter into separate contract with you and pay royalties on a quarterly basis based on 10% of the net profit received from the selected image.

Please note that images may be used in the Sky at Night Magazine calendar, for which no royalties will be payable."

Anyway, I am delighted to learn that (1) Michael won (!) and (2) has received a licensing agreement and including royalties for his time and efforts.

By the way, my source for the above quotations is the following link: www.nmm.ac.uk/visit/exhibitions/astronom...r-of-the-year/rules/

There are many red flags in the above paragraphs I quote and which make me suspicious and defensive.

In the event they pursue a similar competition next year, I will read carefully their terms once again and think carefully (again) about participating or not. However, given their emphasis on IYA, I suspect this was a one-time event.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
15 years 1 month ago #80906 by jeyjey
Congrats, Michael. That's quite an honor.

-- Jeff.

Nikon 18x70s / UA Millennium                              Colorado:
Solarscope SF70 / TV Pronto / AP400QMD             Coronado SolarMax40 DS / Bogen 055+3130
APM MC1610 / Tak FC-125 / AP1200GTO               Tak Mewlon 250 / AP600EGTO

More
15 years 1 month ago #80913 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Michael O'Connell Wins Astrophotography Competition!
Thanks Jeff.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
15 years 1 month ago #80927 by DaveGrennan
Michael,

Sincerest congrats on this highly merited award. I'm absolutely delighted for you.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
15 years 1 month ago #80969 by carlobeirnes
Wow Well done Michael great news. You where up against some great imagers well done again.

Carl.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds