K-Tec

Planets and Deep Sky Objects Wicklow National Park Mar 6th

More
14 years 7 months ago #84004 by lunartic_old
It was a pity about the weather, there were so many eager people wanting to view objects through the scopes that it was such a let down. Though many stayed around and we had a good chat with some. I was impressed with the number of children who turned up, with parents of course, and it bodes well for the future.

One woman told me she had driven two hours from Kilkenny with her children, and as is typical it's clear tonight.

We informed people of the night of the 19th where we would be at Sandymount and that got a few saying they would try and make it.

One consequence of the night was I managed to throw my back out as I was getting the scope out of the car into the house, as a result I'm sitting here typing and not out observing. It also made me realise that something smaller than the 12" dob was required for such nights.

As usual a good and enjoyable night.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
14 years 7 months ago #84011 by DeirdreKelleghan
Thanks to everyone who showed up with telescopes to share the sky with the public.
The park has confirmed that over 250 people arrived at the event, many having left their homes with a clear sky over their heads. Such are the variables of the Irish weather , take out ten scopes add 250 people and the clouds come a laughing.

Wicklow Mountains National Park have asked me to express their total delight at the numbers attending ,and the competent freely given public engagement afforded by the astronomers to the people who arrived that evening.

Eighty people did their best to get into the talk in the education centre which holds about 50 at a push. I was so sad not to be able to give my talk on Cassini , I did not have the energy as I was sick most of the week. However hats off to John Murphy and Val Dunne who entertained the attendees with an excellent talk on astronomy , that pleased everyone.

I am working out a date for next March with the park , and am hopeful for some impromptu star parties ie , joining in on top of other park nature events during the year ahead.

Hope your back is better Paul ?

Deirdre Kelleghan

Vice Char IFAS - Outreach IFAS
National Coordinator Astronomers Without Borders Ireland
www.deirdrekelleghan.com/
twitter.com/skysketcher

More
14 years 7 months ago #84015 by Calibos
What a shame! So what was the story? You got to observe till 9pm? The cloud cleared over Bray from about 10 or 11 onwards on Saturday. Haven't seen a cloud since!! Typical!! Sounds like it was the best attended Glendalough event so far. Double shame!!

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
14 years 7 months ago #84016 by Graham
It was fantastic until 9! considering out of the 250 people attending, 200 had bright torches! :P

If the little burger van thing was open they would have made a fortune! a lot of kids moaning over food and drink! :)

Its a shame the place closes so early!

Has anyone ever considered building an 'Astropark'?

Dark skies, Readybuilt mount piers maybe even electricty!, rules on lights, toilets, shielding from carpark....

Graham

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 7 months ago #84017 by DeirdreKelleghan
Its not about food and drink , usually families bring their own picnics if they want to .

Its about sharing the sky freely . Kids like to bring torches , so what ?? its not an event for pure observing ,its for people to view objects they may never have seen before. Next one will include the moon , this time around it was not possible to get a moon date.

The park are good enough firstly to provide the venue and second and very importantly the staff to help out all free to the public . This freely given gift is to be cherished.

Deirdre Kelleghan

Vice Char IFAS
Outreach IFAS
National Coordinator Astronomers Without Borders Ireland .
www.irishastronomy.org/
www.deirdrekelleghan.com/
twitter.com/skysketcher

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds