K-Tec

New Club Creation

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #91769 by Tof
New Club Creation was created by Tof
Greetings to all and best wishes for the New Year.
I am new to this forum but not to Astronomy. After checking the map of Ireland that displays the various Clubs and Societies around the country, I could not help but notice that, in the North West of the island, those groups shine by their absence. Indeed, there is nothing to be found above Galway. As a result, I am planning to start a new Club in Leitrim, where I reside, with the hope that some of the Astronomy enthusiasts in the area and in the surrounding counties might join in and help to fill a gap in this map.
I mostly understand what is needed in order to set up a Club (a constitution, a Chairperson, a Secretary, a Treasurer, a bank account, etc), but a few details still remain unknown to me. For instance, do Astronomy Clubs require an Insurance? In theory, I suppose, any Club needs one. But Astronomy is not really a dangerous activity. So, should we get insured? And if yes, as will probably be the case, does anyone know which insurance company/broker would be used to handle such activity and/or what kind of insurance is required?
Because of the specific nature of this activity, there may also be aspects that I have failed to take into consideration. So, in a word, I am asking for advice from anyone with experience in the matter. Thank you all.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Tof.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #91770 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: New Club Creation
IFAS affiliated clubs can avail of the IFAS umbrella insurance policy (around 120 a year) - this covers you for events where the public may be invited.

If you wish to affiliate with IFAS, there is an annual registration fee (€20 or €25 - sorry, I forget exactly...)

Dave

More
12 years 9 months ago #91771 by Tof
Replied by Tof on topic Re: New Club Creation
That sounds good, thanks. It will certainly make it simpler.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #91773 by Pat_Dunne
Replied by Pat_Dunne on topic Re: New Club Creation
Hi Tof, it’s really welcome news to come across someone with the enthusiasm for setting up a new club. Leitrim, must have some of the best dark sky sites in the country.

All the very best with your endeavours.

Celestron CPC 9.25
Celestron Ultima LX 8mm, 13mm, 17mm, 22mm, 32mm.
Starlight Microfocuser
A full set of Snickers Thermals
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by Pat_Dunne.

More
12 years 9 months ago #91775 by Tof
Replied by Tof on topic Re: New Club Creation
Thanks for your post, Pat, and yes Leitrim has fantastic skies... when it's not raining. Apart from that, I have to deal with the usual obstacles: light pollution and tree lines. But I live outside of town, next door to a very nice landlady and I usually can get her to turn her outdoor sodium lights out for a few hours when doing some observation. As for trees, well...they're not everywhere, so it's not too bad, but I still can't catch the lower constellations from my place, it's not high enough.
Enthusiastic I am indeed, sometimes too much, I think. So much so that I went back to college as a mature student a few years ago to study astrophysics, even though I don't really hope to start a new career. So, yes, I well intend to put Leitrim on the Astronomy map. Give it a year or two...

More
12 years 9 months ago #91778 by Kerry Stargazer
Replied by Kerry Stargazer on topic Re: New Club Creation
Maybe you could put a small add in the paper looking for like minded people :gramps:

Chairman of Kerry Astronomy Club.
My Kung-Fu 's the best (Melvin Frohike X-Files)

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds