K-Tec

Sir Patrick Moore has passed on.

More
11 years 10 months ago #95845 by Kerry Stargazer
Replied by Kerry Stargazer on topic Re: Sir Patrick Moore has passed on.
:( Sad to hear it

Chairman of Kerry Astronomy Club.
My Kung-Fu 's the best (Melvin Frohike X-Files)
The following user(s) said Thank You: majestic0110

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #95846 by lunartic_old
Replied by lunartic_old on topic Re: Sir Patrick Moore has passed on.
Terribly sad news, rest in peace Sir Patrick.

I was watching the latest episode of The Sky At Night last evening and the thought came to my mind of how much longer he will be with us, I truly did not believe it would be so short.

The world of astronomy has lost its greatest ambassador and surely it's only fitting that a crater on the moon is given the designation Moore.

Paul

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook
The following user(s) said Thank You: dmcdona, michael_murphy, majestic0110

More
11 years 10 months ago #95850 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Sir Patrick Moore has passed on.
A giant of a man, Amateur Astronomy will never know another like him. Met him a few times, and his graciousness and humility was always at the forefront when talking to others. May he rest in peace.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
11 years 10 months ago #95851 by flt158
Replied by flt158 on topic Re: Sir Patrick Moore has passed on.
I have a massive lump in my the throat following the death of Sir Patrick Moore. I met Patrick on 2 occasions. I have his autograph in the book "Atlas of Uranus" which he and Garry Hunt wrote in 1988. I cannot think of a better day for Patrick to pass on other than Sunday -the day Jesus Christ rose from the dead.
I would also like to make a personal dedication to the memory of Patrick -my recent observation of the Total Solar Eclipse in Australia -my 7th.

Aubrey.

More
11 years 10 months ago #95853 by mykc
Replied by mykc on topic Re: Sir Patrick Moore has passed on.
I never had the privilege of meeting him, but one of my first ever astronomy books was his, the Observer Book of Astronomy bought for 45 pence in 1971. I happened to see "The Sky at Night" last night and the fact that Sir Patrick was still involved is a testament to his tremendous energy and enthusiasm. We won't see his like again. Mike.

Skywatcher 120 mm ED on a CG5 mount.
Orion UK 300mm Dobsonian

More
11 years 10 months ago #95855 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Re: Sir Patrick Moore has passed on.
Very sad news indeed. It seemed Patrick would be a permanent fixture. Perhaps he will through his inspiration to countless amateur astronomers around the globe.

In my early days, my own inspiration came from the Sky at Night and his books, including the little Observer's Astronomy.

I particularly remember when we organised the Irish Astronomical Society's 50th anniversary in 1987. Patrick graciously came over and gave the main lecture on our weekend of celebrations.

May he rest in peace.

John

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds