• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19279 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Modifying the TC-80N3 for the EOS 300d
Hi John,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am relieved to learn that no damage can be done by "erroneous" wiring at my end.

Further to your comment about possibly having to reverse the two non-ground cables from their initial placement, this is something I have read elsewhere as well and I thank you for the confirmation.

I have attached a photo of the various jacks I picked up. Can I get some feedback as to how to initially wire the three leads (one ground and two signal)? I am told the 'red' is for the shutter and the 'white' will be for the autofocus.

The breakdown is as follows:

(1) female plug to be attached to the cable still attached to the camera when it is cut in half
(2) male plug to attach to the other end of the same cable (ie. with existing connector) after the existing cable is cut in half
(3) male plug for new cable which goes into the EOS 300d outlet
(4) same as (2) but for the new cable and the other end of (3)

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19293 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Modifying the TC-80N3 for the EOS 300d
Ok.... here goes

This is how things should connect up:

remote(controller end)----female plug
male plug(large)----remote(camera end)
male plug(large)----male plug(small for 300D)

Looking at the male plugs you can see the 3 tabs on the left and the 3 sections on the front, lets call the front sections A-B-C. The long tab goes to A. The next tab in goes to B. The innermost tab to C.

The female plug is similar (though from your photo I can't see which are the B and C tabs but the arrangement should be like the male with the innermost tab being C).

Cut your remotes cable at a distance from the existing plug, maybe around 12cm or so.

Strip each end back to reveal the 2 covered wires and ground (1.5cm). Strip covered wires (.5 cm).

Lets call the uncovered wires: ground=a, wire1(white?)=b and wire2(red?)=c

Now that everything is named you should be able to but your existing remote back together using the plugs by connecting like to like; A to a, B to b and C to c. Your remote should now be back working as it was.

For the 300D, get a length of cable, strip the wires and connect them to the large male plug the same way as for large male you added to the remote. For the small male that goes into the 300D; connect the ground A to a, connect B to b and C to c. If the half/full are the wrong way around the connect B to c and C to b.

Hopefully this makes sense.

- John

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19295 by ayiomamitis
Hi John,

When the three wires have been stripped (ground, red, white), how are they introduced into the associated tabs? From the inside or the outside? Also, how are the holes for each tab used (or not)?

Thanks.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19296 by ayiomamitis
PS. One of the two smaller tabs is connected to a circular metal tab in the middle of the base. Would this be ground or is it insignificant?

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 9 months ago #19298 by John OBrien
The large tab is for the ground wire (the ground wire being the large uncovered wire within the cable.)

Tread the bare wire through the hole in the tab and loop it back onto itself giving it a few turns to secure it. A dab of solder can be used on the wire-tab combo but you can get away without doing this, just make sure that it is fairly tight and won't come loose.

Don't forget to tread the plug case onto the cable before connecting the wires to the tabs.

Maybe have a practice run with a spare bit of cable so you can see how much wire you need to strip for a secure connection to the tabs.

Note that on the large tab there is a brace at the very back, a U shaped part. This U can be pinched together using a pliers to help hold the cable into the plug. This should be done at the end when you know everything is working correctly.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19300 by John OBrien

PS. One of the two smaller tabs is connected to a circular metal tab in the middle of the base. Would this be ground or is it insignificant?

That's the "C" tab that I mentioned earlier. It connects to the circular part in the middle which is in fact a rod that runs down inside of the male shaft to the tip of the plug which is why I named them A-B-C.

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds