• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19427 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Modifying the TC-80N3 for the EOS 300d
Gentlemen,

Another failed attempt and, to add insult to injury, we have great weather during this particular new moon period which will be going to waste thanks to my inability to exploit the absence of the moon.

When I connect all of the cables and power up the 300d, the shutter immediately fires (I have the camera set in Bulb mode). The exposure will come to an end only when I press the shutter release button on the camera. Once I initiate the programmable remote to begin a series of exposures, nothing happens. If I press the shutter release button on the remote, again nothing happens. If I press the shutter release button on the 300d, yet again nothing happens.

Any ideas where I am messing things up?

At the risk of stating the obvious, I am very disappointed at Canon for introducing this incompatibility with the receptacle plugs on the 300d and the other models such as the EOS 3. There was no reason for such an incompatibility!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19428 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Modifying the TC-80N3 for the EOS 300d

Gentlemen,

When I connect all of the cables and power up the 300d, the shutter immediately fires (I have the camera set in Bulb mode). The exposure will come to an end only when I press the shutter release button on the camera. Once I initiate the programmable remote to begin a series of exposures, nothing happens. If I press the shutter release button on the remote, again nothing happens. If I press the shutter release button on the 300d, yet again nothing happens.

If the controller is off and the camera fires as soon as you plug in the controller, then there is a short circuit in the plug, i.e. the red and ground wires are touching, what happens after doesnt matter.

What I would suggest is that you attach the red and ground wire to where they're supposed to be attached to and do not screw on the plastic plug cover, let the connectors remain exposed and see if that works.
If it does, then use some insulating tape to cover the exposed plug ends, sometimes placing on the plastic cover concompress the wires and make them touch.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19429 by ayiomamitis

Gentlemen,

If the controller is off and the camera fires as soon as you plug in the controller, then there is a short circuit in the plug, i.e. the red and ground wires are touching, what happens after doesnt matter.

Hi Dave,

The shutter only fires when I power-up the camera and it does so by itself (the remote is ON prior to powering up the camera).

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 9 months ago #19431 by dave_lillis
Ok, try this,
turn both the controller and camera off
plug in the controller
turn the camera on,

does the camera shutter fire as soon as the camera boots up???

YES,
then there is a short in the plug

NO,
Then turn on the controller, does the camers never react no matter what the controller does, then the plug is permanently damaged, you need to get a new plug.

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19436 by ayiomamitis
Hi Dave,

IT WORKS!!!! :D :D :D :D

I owe you an apology ... I had programmed the remote incorrectly and hence for the inconsistent results.

You have no idea how happy (and relieved) I am. What this means is that I will be after 10-hr star trails tomorrow evening at one of the most stunning archaelogical grounds (illegally unfortunately) to do get my killer photo.

A very big thank you to both you and John for all of your help and assistance!

Anthony.

PS. I followed up on you suggestion about not using the white wire ... I went as far as to cut it when stripping the red wire for each of the plugs.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 9 months ago #19440 by dave_lillis
thats great Anthony.
I look forward to the image, sounds like it'll be a beauty. :)

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds