K-Tec

Modifying the TC-80N3 for the EOS 300d

More
19 years 1 month ago #15015 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Modifying the TC-80N3 for the EOS 300d
Anthony, given that parts tend to go under different names from different suppliers I would suggest just printing out the radio shack pages and taking them with you to a electronics shop.

To summarise:

1x Phone/Audio plug 3-conductor. 3/32"-diameter.
1x Phone/Audio plug 3-conductor. 1/8"-diameter.
1x Phone/Audio jack 3-conductor. 1/8"-diameter.

Cable: 2 wire + shield or any shielded cable with at least 2 wires. You can use a unshielded cable with at least 3 wires if you need to (the shield stops the cable picking up electrical interference but this is unlikely to be a problem over a short distance).

I'm away from today until Monday so I won't be able to reply until then.

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 1 month ago #15019 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Modifying the TC-80N3 for the EOS 300d
Hi John,

Thanks for the information and details. I have made a lot of progress during the past 24 hours (always a learning curve somewhere).

Best wishes for the extended weekend!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
19 years 1 month ago #15038 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Modifying the TC-80N3 for the EOS 300d
Hi Anthony,
I modified one fo those to work with a 300D, a very simple mod as described above. Worth the effort.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 1 month ago #15044 by ayiomamitis
Hi Dave,

I hope to have all of the parts in my hands today or tomorrow. It seems that locally we have 3.5mm (1/8") stereo plugs and stereo inline plugs which I hope will not be a problem. The descriptions I have seen from the US speak about 3mm plugs.

Of course, the 2.5mm (3/32") for inserting into the 300d outlet is cast in stone and this is something I have located locally without any concern.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• ayiomamitis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19263 by ayiomamitis
Dave L/John O'B,

I would like to sit down this evening and/or tomorrow to apply the mod to my existing cable so that it will also be compatible with my EOS 300d. The weather predictions for the weekend are most favourable and I would like to use the new moon opportunity for a 10-hr star trail photo at ancient Delphi.

Can I please ask a favour ... I need a photo of the connections from the wire we cut and where/how we sodder it to the plugs we buy and use for this mod in order to make sure I solder the ground and two other wires to the proper location on the plugs I picked up.

If it is easier, I can provide a photo of my (purchased) plugs so that you can guide me as to what wire gets soldered where on the plug.

Many thanks!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
18 years 9 months ago #19270 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Modifying the TC-80N3 for the EOS 300d
Hi Anthony,

Dave may better suited to guide you as he as actually done the mod.

First I would just like to point out that you will not damage your camera or remote by making a wiring mistake with this particular mod as there is just signal going through the wires and at most you would end up the half/full press being wrong way around or nothing happening at all.

When you open the connectors there should be a long tab and 2 smaller tabs. The ground wire (shield) connects to the long tab. The remaining 2 wires will connect to the smaller tabs and these control the half/full buttons on the camera. Now I don't know which way around these are but I would just connect them up and if they are wrong, swap them around.

Once you know which way around the tabs/wires operate from remote to camera you can easily work backward to wire up all the connectors.

Good luck.

- John

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds