• Paul FitzGerald
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 month ago #15012 by Paul FitzGerald
350d 'B' was created by Paul FitzGerald
Hi All,

Can one of you who have any vague knowledge of the 350d :wink: tell me if there is a limit on how long the Bulb setting can be used on the camera for long exposures?

The Olympus E300- which I'm interested in - has an 8min limit, I read from the blur. :o

My old manual Yashica had no limit, so this is new to me.

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 1 month ago #15013 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: 350d 'B'

Can one of you who have any vague knowledge of the 350d :wink: tell me if there is a limit on how long the Bulb setting can be used on the camera for long exposures?

Dunno, If I get around to building the correct shutter release cable I'll test it!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• Paul FitzGerald
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 month ago #15016 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: 350d 'B'
Thanks Albert.
I suppose what I'm interested in knowing is that if I had a motorised drive esp. for cameras like the one Telescope Hs. has - as was suggested to me before - then could I do a lot within an 8min timeframe with std. & zoom lens :?:

I've yet to get a DSLR. Olympus are offering a great package with 2 lenses inc. a (=35mm) 80-300mm zoom for the same cost as the Cannon with only the one basic lens.
This is swaying me as I have no lenses to carry over to the new camera.

Do you have other lenses for the 350d at the mo :?:
What about the 300d users :?: :?: :?:

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

More
19 years 1 month ago #15017 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: 350d 'B'

Do you have other lenses for the 350d at the mo :?:

The stock lens you get with it is fine, optimal around f/8.

I've the 70-200 f/4 on order.
www.photo.net/equipment/canon/300D/EOS_300D_lenses give a good overview of the main canon lenses.

What olympus is on offer and where?

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 1 month ago #15018 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: 350d 'B'

Hi Paul,

There should be NO limit. I have its older half-brother (the 300d) and I know for sure we have no limit. For example, I have very easily done 6-min exposures and 15-min exposures (see www.perseus.gr/Astro-Star-Trails-2005-08-13.htm and/or www.perseus.gr/Astro-Milky-Way-20050710.htm ).

Of course, the longer you go (especially with higher ISO's), there will be a need to correct for amplifier glow and hot pixels and which can be addressed by using associated dark frames.

I remember reading once of someone doing 45-min exposures which blew me away since we do not pursue such an aggressive exposure even with a dedicated CCD camera!!!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• Paul FitzGerald
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 1 month ago #15020 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: 350d 'B'
Anthony: That's what I figured, unless they're trying to protect the camera in some way from battery failure.

Al: www.cameraexchange.ie/ gives the details.

The leaflet on this talks about the lens being telecentric, which is suposed to improve the image quality. The lens is specifically designed for dslr from the beginning.

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds