K-Tec

M31 - Andromeda Galaxy

More
18 years 9 months ago #19770 by Paul Tipper
Replied by Paul Tipper on topic Re: M31 - Andromeda Galaxy
Dave/Jed,

Sensational image! The finely detailed structure you managed to capture of the dust lanes is particularily impressive - I don't recall seeing them so clearly revealed in "professional" images in a long while! What I need now is a "we are not worthy" emoticon (e.g. :worthy:)...

Paul

Paul Tipper,
South Dublin Astro. Soc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19772 by LUNAtic
Replied by LUNAtic on topic Re: M31 - Andromeda Galaxy
WOW :shock: Superb photo guys!

Neil

Bear up and keep Ploughing on...

More
18 years 9 months ago #19774 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: M31 - Andromeda Galaxy
Wow lots of detail there.

I would have thought that your darks would gotten rid of the red area. BTW on the Canon 20D this appears in the bottom right as an O shape that fades outwards. It also looks like there is some vignetting and maybe internal reflections from the tube, perhaps reduce the focal length and crop the center to reduce this.

Great image, keep it up!

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19777 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: M31 - Andromeda Galaxy
Spectacular shot! Dust lanes and all! :D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19779 by SeanOSullivan
Replied by SeanOSullivan on topic Re: M31 - Andromeda Galaxy
My god, that is a mighty photo! I recently bought a few books purely dedicated to astrophotography and that is worthy of being in any of them. Other people have said it and I also would love to see a calender of the photo's from this site or Irish clubs. :shock:

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 9 months ago #19786 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: M31 - Andromeda Galaxy
Thanks for all the comments guys. Theres one thing that that low res jpg version doesnt show which blew me away when I discovered it. While comparing the full res tiff version with a photographic atlas of M31 you can clearly see some globular clusters, open clusters etc *INSIDE* M31. I'll do up some examples and post them later. I must say I nearly fell off my chair when I realised they were there!

The red glow thing is a problem. Jed and myself have spent quite a bit of time discussing the cause. We are gonna do some tests tonight to get to the bottom of it. I suspect it may be a vignetting effect caused by me using a 1.25inch adaptor. I think with a 2inch adaptor in place that will go away.

No doubt we will revist M31 again. You may remember again that monday night last was a very moist night, clear but very foggy. What I wanna see is what kind of image we could get from a dark site (the image above was taken from light polluted Raheny) on a dryish night. Hopefully we will have resolved the red glow issue too!

Thanks again for the kind comments

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds