K-Tec

Beginner problems with Moon shot

More
18 years 8 months ago #21785 by blooka
Beginner problems with Moon shot was created by blooka
Hi
after seeing all these great pictures of the moon on this forum I thought i would give it a go myself. I am new to astronomy since the wife bought me a telescope at xmas so please be patient with me.
I have a skylux telescope from lidl and a 3com homeconnect webcam with a UWAL-F adaptor which I bought from webcaddy.com. I connect the camera to the adaptor and then place camera into the diagonal.Problem is I would like to photograph all of the moon but i can only see part of it, as it zooms in too much.Do I need some sort of other adaptor to fit the 20mm eyepiece in also?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, its the first decent night I have had of the moon for ages so i am desperate for my fist picture

Many Thanx in Advance
Dave (the noob)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21792 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Beginner problems with Moon shot
I'd say you just need a larger eyepiece, say, a 30 to 35mm to get the whole Moon without any hindrance.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21796 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Beginner problems with Moon shot
If you have a camera be it SLR or compact, give that a try instead, it might work abit better, but like seanie said, maybe try using a longer FL lens.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 8 months ago #21798 by blooka
Replied by blooka on topic re: moon shot
thanx fo the advice guys i will try it with my digital camera.
Will I hae to buy another adaptor for my webcam so it can accept an eyepiece?
cheers
Dave

More
18 years 8 months ago #21800 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Beginner problems with Moon shot
With the philips toucam pro, the lens comes off and you can get an adapter to fit the bare camera into the eyepiece barrel of the scope, this normally gives very narrow fields of view, I dont know about the webcam you have.
For the moon, its best use a "normal" camera, be it digital or not, it is difficult to get full field of view moon images with a webcam, they are more for imaging the planets.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 8 months ago #21801 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Beginner problems with Moon shot
Dave - is the webcam holder designed just to attach to the diagonal (ie not including an eyepiece)?

I know in general folks can do 'eyepiece projection' but I'm not sure it'd work too well with a webcam...

If the holder is not designed to hold an eyepiece plus the webcam (which I think would be normal), you can simply do a mosaic - take 2, 3 or 4 (or more) shots of the moon and then stitch them together in your favourite image processing programme...

Donl;t throw the webcam and adapter out just yet! Besides, it'll be a great combo for the brighter planets.

Cheers

Dave

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds