• dmcdona
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 7 months ago #24022 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: (8515) Corvan
Thanks folks :oops:

Seanie - the sequence is just short of an hour from start frame to end frame. Some frames in the middle were no good and were thrown out :cry:

Gordon - I'd like to but its going to be along term project. Moseley is very dim until May/June and (6860) Sims is even fainter.

We'll see :D

Cheers again

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 7 months ago #24024 by John C McConnell
Replied by John C McConnell on topic Re: (8515) Corvan
Superb piece of work Dave, two asteroids in three days, where do your talents end? Congratulations again!

John(9929).

More
18 years 7 months ago #24025 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: (8515) Corvan
cool Dave,
Thats a nice piece of imaging.!!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 7 months ago #24045 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: (8515) Corvan
Thats amazing Dave :D

Im very impressed!!!!

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 7 months ago #24048 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: (8515) Corvan
Hi Dave,

I thought I would give you a nice little surprise by doing a bit of a clean-up job on your last asteroid animation. I had read the article in Kiss&Tel by Sean Walker on “Deep-Sky Astrophotography 2005” (March 2006, pg 103) about how to remove noise and scratches from old photos and images.

The technique is pretty simple, and goes like this: You have two images of the same object. One has scratches or other noise on it and the other is somewhat better… or at least shows a different pattern of noise. You subtract the clean image from the noisy one and end up with a third image which contains only the noise, or the difference between the two images. You then subtract this ‘noise’ image from your original bad image and hey-presto… you have a totally clean image!

I did this with your animation. I got the best and worst frames (6 and 1) and did the deed. The result was spectacular – *no* noise!!!! I was well pleased with my efforts and decided to do the same for another 5 or 6 frames before the blindingly obvious hit me smack between the eyes! This technique removes everything that is *different* between any two images. Well, the bluming asteroid is *moving* and so of course it appears different in every image. The result is that the asteroid vanishes from an otherwise beautifully cleaned up animation!!! Doh doh doh doh doh!!!!!!!

Here’s a link to the fruits of my labours! No-Asteroid.jpg. It just contains 7 frames or so of the original 20.

www.irishastronomy.org/user_resources/fi...d%20(7%20frames).gif

Phil.

PS – Just a thought, but if one was *not* hunting down asteroids, this technique could be used to effectively remove all the effects of atmospheric distortion and scintillation. You would need to write a piece of dedicated software or a macro for PaintShop/Photoshop to take each frame of a movie and apply the noise difference from each of the other frames in turn before moving on to the next frame (1&2, 1&3, 1&4, 1&5…. 2&3, 2&4, 2&5… 3&4, 3&5, 3&6… etc.)

Anybody care to comment… or have I just reinvented the wheel? J

More
18 years 7 months ago #24049 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: (8515) Corvan
I've just surprised myself! The asteroid isn't entirely gone in my animation. It just doesn't show much motion over the seven frames! I might just continue playing with this and see what I get back. I'm away from home until Thursday, so don't hold your breath!

Phil.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds