Lenses for Canon 300D

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
19 years 7 months ago #8415 by Keith g
Lenses for Canon 300D was created by Keith g
Hey all, Can anybody tell both myself and others who use the 300D what lenses (EF) you recommend/use? I took the camera out last night with the standard 18-55mm lens, the autofocus would not work since it's so dark, but i knew this already, so when buying new/used lenses for this camera, would it be better to get an 'old' manual focus lens that will fit for the 300d? Just set it on infinity, so no focus problem???

:?

How do you find manual focus out in the dark using the autofocus 18-55mm lens? It's probably not easy, is it frustrating to get a sharp as possible shot?
Thanks,
Keith..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 7 months ago #8416 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: Lenses for Canon 300D
I'm sure I posed this a moment ago but here goes again.

I have trouble with AF too but it's not a simple case of setting to infinite. When I come in from the cold the lens is always just off infinite, one way or the other.

You could do what I did and make a mini-Hartmann mask. Look at my blog here james.butler.name/weblog/astrodiary/2005...ndoor-astronomy.html for the instructions. Note that this will only work with bright objects. A single bright star will have most of its light blocked afore it hits the sensor so use it during the day to set up.

I have a 200mm fixed focus USM / EF lens. A zoom version would add a lot to the price. You could try another manufacturer and use T-adaptors. I have an old 500mm mirror lens from Vivitar that I have an adaptor for. Don't buy mirror lenses for astrophotography though. Cheap, great magnification, useless in low light. Even some shots I did of the sun spots were awful.

Software like DSLRFocus will also help with focusing. The website www.dslrfocus.com also has a wiring diagram to make a combined exposure bulb and focus cable that integrates with the software and finds the right focus for you.

An alternative is to do prime focus or eyepiece projection with your scope so you don't need any camera lenses.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

More
19 years 7 months ago #8417 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Lenses for Canon 300D
Focusing the 300d is something I have found difficult lately.
However, I followed from advice from Michael Scully and Dave Lillis who recommended I should mark the lens during the day.
I simply pointed the camera at a distant object, set the lens to 18mm and autofocused. Then I made a small mark on both parts of the plastic casing around the lens. I repeated the procedure at the 55mm setting. Once the weather clears I'll test it out. Hopefully it'll work.

More
19 years 7 months ago #8421 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Lenses for Canon 300D
No infinity marking on the 300d is about the only shortcoming of the camera, I havent tried other lenses.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 7 months ago #8423 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Lenses for Canon 300D

Focusing the 300d is something I have found difficult lately.
However, I followed from advice from Michael Scully and Dave Lillis who recommended I should mark the lens during the day.
I simply pointed the camera at a distant object, set the lens to 18mm and autofocused. Then I made a small mark on both parts of the plastic casing around the lens. I repeated the procedure at the 55mm setting. Once the weather clears I'll test it out. Hopefully it'll work.

:oops: a tiny mark on the PLASTIC, not the lens :lol:

Another shamless advertisment, but I'm going to make up a number of these DSLR focus cables so you can fully control you 300D from a computer/laptop,
All going well, I'll have them for Cosmos, I'll put up an add in the "For Sale" section when the time comes.
Just thought I'd give advance nortice.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
19 years 7 months ago #8432 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Lenses for Canon 300D

All going well, I'll have them for Cosmos, I'll put up an add in the "For Sale" section when the time comes.

Are you also going to be looking for a stall? I'll charge you rent, or a cable or three in lieu of!

:lol:

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds