18 years 9 months ago #18932 by John OBrien
Replied by John OBrien on topic Re: Lenses for Canon 300D
Hi Michael,

Here are few links that might help...

Home made adapter for FD to EF mount lenses:
www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-eos-to-fd-adapter.html

Cheapest one you can buy:
www.adorama.com/CZFDEOSA.html

Personally I would just get the EF version of the lens and try to sell the FD one.

"We are the music makers ... and we are the dreamers of dreams." - W.W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #18933 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Lenses for Canon 300D
Michael,

I have been a Canon user since my teens and had a suspicion upon reading your posting that you probably picked up an FD series lens.

Canon upset many of their customers when they introduced the EOS line of lenses and this had to do with the fact that they could not fit the electronics required for the EOS camera (such as autofocusing) onto the body of the FD lens. As a result, they had to opt for a new line of lenses and it is not a coincidence that the EOS lenses are physcically larger (due to the electronics).

John mentions FD-EOS adapters. However, the image quality is VERY poor unless you pick up a genuine adapter from Canon ... but we have a problem, for Canon produced only a handful of these adapters and they sell for a hefty amount ($200+).

It is best to flip it by reselling it on eBay and picking up a genuine EOS 50mm lens. I am sorry to learn of your (expensive) mistake and surprise.

I still have my FD series cameras (3 Canon A-1's, 1 Canon AE-1P) and nearly a complete suite of FD series lenses including fixed focal length (24 to 300 mm) and various zooms. It is truly unfortunate that they cannot be used with the EOS 300d but I hope to get some mileage out of them anyway by coupling them to my CCD camera for widefield imaging, for the FD lenses are stunningly sharp and very well-respected.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #18965 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
I found this here:
photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/

I have 6 pentax k lenses that I used on my old film slr camera, Is it possible that you can get an adaptor for these Anthony??? and connect to the 300D?

Michael, It also goes on about the FD mounts also...hope it is of help :?

Keith..

More
18 years 9 months ago #19433 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Lenses for Canon 300D
Update:
I've ordered a proper 50mm lens...fingers crossed!

More
18 years 9 months ago #19438 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:

I found this here:
photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/

I have 6 pentax k lenses that I used on my old film slr camera, Is it possible that you can get an adaptor for these Anthony??? and connect to the 300D?

Hi Keith,

I apologize for the delayed reply. Although I am not sure, I would guess that many fellow amateurs would have followed such a route if an adapter did exist and it was simultaneously of acceptable quality.

Best to play it safe (unfortunately) and pursue the EOS line of lenses. The EF 50 mm lens is very good and tack sharp ... with some patience you can score one of these for about $50 USD on eBay.

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• Keith g
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #19442 by Keith g
Replied by Keith g on topic Re:
Hope it's the right one Michael!, you won't be disappointed!

Thanks Anthony, I have'nt seen any mention of an adapter anyway, so that's a pity.

Keith..

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds