K-Tec

ISS solar transit from Dublin next Saturday?

More
19 years 3 months ago #12297 by mjs
Lads,

If you drop the comma at the end, ie www.calsky.com it works.

Another option is iss-transit.sourceforge.net/ and signup for email alerts.

I have been getting these for a while but never seem to get the combination of clearskies and an event to coinside. :(

Michael Scully

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12307 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: ISS solar transit from Dublin next Saturday?
Dooohhhhh :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• cobyrne
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 3 months ago #12308 by cobyrne

Just trying that link now Colm, it seems to be a dead one. Sure its a dot com?

If the path is a few km north of Kilbeggan, then there is a chance that maybe it touches at Tyrrellspass, where I really live...

Seanie.

I've run two calculations for this pass - one for Dublin and one for near Tyrrellspass.

The run for Dublin currently says that the centre line passes over e.g. the south-west entrance to St Stephen's Green (which is, geographically speaking, the westernmost entrance to St Stephen's Green). At that time, the path is moving in the direction 95.5d (east, essentially) and the path with is 4.6km. The duration of the transit is 0.6 sec.

I'm finding it difficult to get an exact latitude and longitude for Tyrellspass. However, the nearest point on the centre line seems to be at about 53d 23' 46" N, 7d 22' 18" W, which may be in Tyrellspass or a few km north of it, depending on which geographic source I use. This coordinate translates into Irish grid coordinates N 41850 38600. I don't suppose you have a GPS receiver? Anyway, the path is moving in the direction 94.6d, its width is still 4.6 km, and the duration is still 0.6 sec.

Extrapolating backwards, it looks like e.g. Tuam may be near or in the path, and Athlone wouldn't be a million miles from it either.

Of course, if they decide to boost the ISS orbit between now and then, all these calculations will be wrong...

More
19 years 3 months ago #12310 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: ISS solar transit from Dublin next Saturday?

I don't suppose you have a GPS receiver?

I don't Colm, but the co-ords I have for Tyrrellspass are 53.3890°N X 7.3740°W, taken from heavens above.

Thanks for the work in finding these things out for me!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• cobyrne
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 3 months ago #12312 by cobyrne

I don't suppose you have a GPS receiver?

I don't Colm, but the co-ords I have for Tyrrellspass are 53.3890°N X 7.3740°W, taken from heavens above.

Thanks for the work in finding these things out for me!

Not sure that I would trust heavens-above - there are some dodgy gazetteers out there.

Anyway, using a reference that I have that I do trust, it looks like the centre of the path passes just a few hundred metres north of Tyrrellspass city centre :)

Also, it's Chris, not Colm :)

More
19 years 3 months ago #12313 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: ISS solar transit from Dublin next Saturday?

it looks like the centre of the path passes just a few hundred metres north of Tyrrellspass city centre :)

City center... good one! I'm sure the 1,000 locals will like that one!

Also, it's Chris, not Colm :)

Bugger! sorry! :oops:

(Note to self: wrong Colm O'Byrne!)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds